Anyone lived in Hong Kong?

Hi

I am trying to find out what it is like to live and work in Hong Kong with a family of 3 children under 10, as we are considering moving. Would love to talk to anyone in Sheffield who has this experience. Thanks:)

I was there in 1955-56 but i was talking to someone recently who goes there quite often and it hasn't changed much. It's a wonderful place and it consists of the island itself and some offshore islands plus the city of Kowloon which is on the mainland. That is where I lived but if I were you I would go out and get established then send for the family.

seriously expensive particularily housing , schools excellent, travel a bit of a nightmare ,smells of sweet and sour diesel fumes

Never lived there but have worked there, it was very, very humid, which may take some getting used to. I loved it though, I was working with a british guy who used to live there, so he knew his way around, he said he wished he had never left. There is a beach area, called Stanley (if my memory serves me correctly), with a large market nearby, all the skyscrapers in the main area, and an area full of bars called something like Lan Kwai Fong, which is full of ex-pats of all nationalities every night.

I think it is a brave step taking a young family anywhere in the world, so good luck with that, is there an option for you to go for a few months and decide if it is right for you?

Thanks to you all for your thoughts and ideas. Research going pretty well. Interested in knowing anything specific about family living on Lantau, Lamma or New Territories.

Suggest that you ask your question on one of the expat websites for HK. There are loads so check for an active one to get a quick answer. From my frequent visits there, and knowing a couple of UK families, it will be a culture shock but is a very safe, family friendly place to live, plus an amazing climate.

Good luck with your move.