Great Yorkshire Run 2011

Thanks to everyone who came along to watch and cheer - especially on the final hill! I got a PB this year after putting some extra hill training in just for that, but it is still a hard slog to the finish.

i did it in 1hr6mins. very pleased considering i genuinely couldn't run for 60 secs 3 months ago. the children's hospital team outside the new barack tavern were brill and they gave me a massive boost. the hills weren't such a problem to me as living in walkley, my training took in some serious hills :-) really really enjoyed the event. loads of cash raised for charity (i really need a final count but i think its over £270 for childrens hospital) and i cant wait for next year

i did it in 1hr6mins. very pleased considering i genuinely couldn't run for 60 secs 3 months ago. the children's hospital team outside the new barack tavern were brill and they gave me a massive boost. the hills weren't such a problem to me as living in walkley, my training took in some serious hills :-) really really enjoyed the event. loads of cash raised for charity (i really need a final count but i think its over £270 for childrens hospital) and i cant wait for next year

Well done!! That's a brilliant time - my first year it was 73 mins!

well done to all of u that ran today

I finished in 63 mins 24 secs. Not very happy with the time but my baby girl was born at the beginning of last week so I spent the entire last week in hospital so got no training done and all final preparations went out of the window! That paired with the cold and tight chest I had i suppose it wasn't too bad!

Little annoyed at the amount of Pink runners that came into the green wave, Really slowed a lot of the green runners down and couldn't really get going until just after the park square roundabout as there were quite a few slower runners blocking my way

It was still a fantastic day and I've raised over £200 for Fibromygia UK so all is well! congratulations to everyone who did the run!

I ran in the pink wave and was one of the last to start. Found it difficult to get a good start speed up due to bottle necking of slower runners which was frustrating. Finished in 54.09 which i was pleased with for my first ever race! Definatley want to start further forward next time, I could have easily shaved a couple of minutes off if i hadnt had such a slow start

I finished in 63 mins 24 secs. Not very happy with the time but my baby girl was born at the beginning of last week so I spent the entire last week in hospital so got no training done and all final preparations went out of the window! That paired with the cold and tight chest I had i suppose it wasn't too bad!

Little annoyed at the amount of Pink runners that came into the green wave, Really slowed a lot of the green runners down and couldn't really get going until just after the park square roundabout as there were quite a few slower runners blocking my way

It was still a fantastic day and I've raised over £200 for Fibromygia UK so all is well! congratulations to everyone who did the run!

I was in the green wave which i thought was about right for my time ( I finished in 56.34). I passed loads of people towards the halfway point who started in the white zone. I don't know why people think they need to start out with faster runners only to tire themselves out through not pacing themselves properly.

I too thought it was fantastic and well done to everyone.....including the volunteers!

^I was pink wave too and did a 55 minute time. Was hoping for a PB but pleased overall. Shoegazer - slow starts are not to be underestimated and it wasn't so crowed you'd of shaved a couple of minutes off I think. Look at the math. My first 500m was 3min 07 so that was 7 seconds outside my normal but by 750m it was clear to pick your pace and 1km we was spread thinkly. 30 seconds maybe for the loss of momentum in the first 1k but a couple of minutes would be a lot to lose when the bulk of the crowd was moving at a 6 min/km in the pink wave at least for the first few km's.

Everyone gets bottlenecked in the fist few corners Rensh so until you find a space you've just got to go with the flow, I caught some greens up before even getting to 4k which means either a lot weren't feeling it on the day and started to slow down early or they over estimated their speed when entering.

Grats to all who did it! Saw less injuries this year too which is good news. Bring on the half marathon :-D

I was in the green wave which i thought was about right for my time ( I finished in 56.34). I passed loads of people towards the halfway point who started in the white zone. I don't know why people think they need to start out with faster runners only to tire themselves out through not pacing themselves properly.

I too thought it was fantastic and well done to everyone.....including the volunteers!

They may have actually started in the green wave...everyone around me in the green seemed to be wearing a white number

As for people going too fast for their ability, all the way round I kept meeting this same lad who would power past me and then 3 minutes later I would jog past him as he walked; 2 minutes on and he was off again past me, then eventually he started to clock me as I jogged past him at my own leisurely (59:37) pace whilst he walked again. This repeated over the entire length of the course from about the half-way mark to the finish

Although if someone really is going to try for the sub 50 time then no problem if they start in a higher group and drop back if it's too much

Suppose we all have our own running style and if sprint and walk gets you your 1 hour time the same as the steady as you go 1 hour time then who are we to argue best method.

Must admit after 5k and at the watering spot I decided to walk for nearly 1k and take on some water. Training I would normally run to about 7k and stop without taking on water (I hate carrying water running) but I did move off to the side of the course as I know it's annoying coming to the back of someone at a much faster pace when you may be in the zone.

It's all experience too. The half marathon (for those who take that next step) it's never as crowded as the 10k and it always seems a little more professionally organised to me.

I managed it in 49.58 this year which im happy with, only 2 seconds slower than last year although those hills at the end seem to have got steeper!!!

I am on the front page of the special GTR section in todays star- right in the bottom left corner wearing a childrens hospital vest. :D :D

I loved it, must admit I didn’t do much training, but the day itself was great! I managed 57 minutes, and even managed a toilet break at hillsboro.

Im thinking about doing the half marathon, any recommend it?