Great Yorkshire Run 2011

How many of you guys doing it this year?

Hows the training going?

I did it last year in 1hr 13 and looking to do it this year in 58 mins!

Anyone got any training tips or advice? or pre race preparation tips?

Doesn't seem to be too much on here for this and this year looks like its going to be huge!

Rikki

Hi Rikki,

Did it for the first time last year, and did it in 55 mins. My first ever proper run.

Its a fantastic experience, even more so if you're doing it for a worthwhile cause.

The only tip i can give (which you'll probably already know) is save something in the tank for that last hill :)

Good luck!

I'm doing it too - this will be my third year. I went from 73 mins first year to 61 last year. I'll be really happy with 59 mins 59 secs this year :)

My friend is running her first ever this year so we've been doing a few hill runs to get her used to them. That last hill is just not nice at all!

My only tip is not to run in the last couple of days before the race. We'll be doing a short run on the Weds or Thurs and then resting for a couple of days. Ooh, and don't cut your toe nails the night before the race, just in case you slip with the scissors :hihi:

My tip is to pace yourself and try not to get caught up in all the excitement. You will run past lots of runners but many will pass you too.

I'm running it this year with 5 of my friends :)

We did the TenTenTen last year but opted for the Bupa this time. I'm hoping to run in an hour as did my first ever 10k last year I took about 1 hr 7 mins...turned out I was coming down with the first of many bugs, I thought just hadn't trained enough!!!!

My cheerleaders will be at Snig Hill to spur us on a bit!!!!

Just been out and done 6.3km in 38mins but purposely included Barnsley road (in the middle of my run) which isn't very fun to run up!. Was hoping to do it in 37 mins but the hill took it out of me more than i had planned!.

Still not too far away from what I want to run the race in and hoping to drop half a stone before the race too so that along with the atmosphere will hopefully shave off a few vital seconds!

Hope everyones training is going well!!

Rikki

My training is going well, managed 6k in 28mins on saturday so im around the pace i will need for a 48 minute race but those last 2 hills are killers so ill need to run faster earlier in the race.

If anyone is looking to pace themselves can I recommend runkeeper on the app store, you can play your music while your running and it will discreetly tell you your last KM or Mile split time so you know if you should speed up and slow down- i have found it brilliant oer the last 3 years of running! :)

I'm sure most of you know as well, but there are paced runners on set times to complete the race (one doing it in 1hour, etc.), so you can run alongside them to get an indication of your pace.

I'm with you Scott, Runkeeper is excellent. :)

Yeah, it's not long now!!

I use the cardio trainer app. Keeps telling me my pace and I have a playlist set up.

My tip would be to set off in a zone that you expect to be slower than your time because everyone gets caught up in the setting off too quickly trap. Also, don't drink more than you normally would before a run or take any asprin or salt tablets you wouldn't normally take on training. Have pasta for your evening meal on the Saturday and have oats for breakfast in the morning. Don't walk up the hills, try to keep your run to the top telling yourself you'll get a break at the top but do catch your breath back on the decent. Trying to make up time on decents is a rookie mistake - I tend to slow my pace but increase my leg stride down the hills and gravity pretty does the rest while giving you a rest.

Two months ago I did a 10k in 53 mins and I thought how excellent it'd be to get down to 45 mins. Right now I'm back at 1hr. But I have been ill for while now. If I get close to 50 mins I'll be happy, under an hour a good job - over that, I'm blaming the weather.

Last year I was really disappointed with the organisation of BUPA for the race especially when I compare it to the half marathon. I know they have more people entering the 10k but it seemed slow getting off and at about the 1hr 15 minute finishes they had ran out of medals in some bags. I'm hoping this year their organisation will be a little better. I know the volunteers do a great job but for the high entry cost they should maybe get a few more paid staff on their books - just my opinion anyway.

http://www.justgiving.com/adamgarretty is my sponsor page.

how long is this run? and when is it taking place? would like to take part with a few lads from gym.

how long is this run? and when is it taking place? would like to take part with a few lads from gym.

It's 10k on Sunday 9th October (a week this sunday) - details here http://www.greatrun.org/events/event.aspx?id=11

Looking at the website it looks like you can still enter.

edit: I received my race number and stuff through the post last week if anyone is wondering btw and my above charity link is for amnesty international and as above even £1 does help if you want to donate.

Edited by Gethical