Why Don't They Turn The M1 Into Five Lanes?

Tinsley wasn't dropped to 4 lanes because of needed work - it's EU rules that were changed about the loading limits for the bridge design. If you wanted to bring that back to six lanes you would essentially have to build a new bridge.
Yes it was. Work would have been needed to keep it as 6 lanes and to bring it in line with EU weight limits. The type of work required, whether it be a totally new structure or strengthening of the existing structure, is irrelevant. Funding wasn't available to carry out the work, so it was reduced to it's current 4 lanes.

Why not just level the whole place? And build a mega motorway to Barnsley? Who wants two crappy lanes?
I think we all know the answer to that one.

Why Don't They Turn The M1 Into Five Lanes?

Because it would then be one lane less they have now and it's already congested in certain areas

We need a fantastic new impressive bridge over the Tinsley valley - minimum of 4 lanes. A Yorkshire version of the Millau.

Thank the lord for sarcasm eh? The viaduct needs pulling down and maybe a flyover tunnel to the Rotherham side ... passport control?

Perhaps we should all stop making so many unnecessary journeys in our cars? The more roads/lanes you build, the more traffic you encourage.

Was thinking more on a practical level. Like if I'm in the outside lane it could take a lot more planning to get into lane for getting off at a junction. No more leaving it to the last minute and cutting across say 2 lanes. Quickly having to cut across 9 lanes might be dangerous. Not that I do this myself but I see it all the time, in our current 2 or 3 or 4 lane (excluding hard shoulder) m-way model.

Toronto has a system of "collecter" and "express" lanes on highway 401.

If you're going straight through you use the express. If you're exiting you use the collecter which has to be selected before your exit. There is a barrier between the two lanes except for certain points obviously.

But you guys drive at 55, like that bloke called Sammy Hager said. He was non plussed with that deal.
It must have been a long time since you visited us, or perhaps never. The 55 limit was scrapped years ago. It is currently 65 in Connecticut, 70 in many others. If you're doing those speed limits, you're likely to be run down by a big rig,. If you don't know what that is, Its 18 wheels of sheer menace.

It must have been a long time since you visited us, or perhaps never. The 55 limit was scrapped years ago. It is currently 65 in Connecticut, 70 in many others. If you're doing those speed limits, you're likely to be run down by a big rig,. If you don't know what that is, Its 18 wheels of sheer menace.

18 wheels, big? Take a trip to Canada sometime.

18 wheels, big? Take a trip to Canada sometime.
I did, I gave up my Canadian citizenship in 1987. I still visit several times a year. The semis are the same size as ours. Most of them are built stateside. Is there anything else you'd like to teach me about North American life? Edited by buck

Really? Sorry, my bing bust. Does that mean that Sammy Hager is happy now?

If the tory boys allow 80MPH, I think we are going to NEED five lanes. As the outer lane cars will be doing 100MPH plus. So we can all go to places faster, without looking at the back of white micras.

I did, I gave up my Canadian citizenship in 1987. I still visit several times a year. The semis are the same size as ours.

Most of the trucks we passed in Alberta had way, way more than just 18 wheels. (One of them had nearly a hundred, but even for Canada that was an unusual load!)