Tyson aged 23 v Mohammed Ali aged 23; Who Would Win?

I think Carl 'The Truth' Williams and Frank 'Widow T****y' Bruno DID 'wee' all over Tyson. With sheer terror. LOL.

Originally posted by timo

I think Carl 'The Truth' Williams and Frank 'Widow T****y' Bruno DID 'wee' all over Tyson. With sheer terror. LOL.

Timo - sorry that the Widow T w a n k y reference got zapped by the software here - it's automagic and rather over protective on occasion!! :)

Joe

Joe,

Cheers, old fruit. Thought some trigger-happy young whippersnapper of a moderator had intervened!

Bruno will be remembered as a brief champion, but he certainly received some mighty leatherings from the likes of Witherspoon and Tyson. Apparently, his season as Aladdin in Panto in Peterborough was sheer hell too. As was his stint as Buttons at Ingoldmells Mermaid Theatre, not to mention the superhuman difficulty of juggling his rehearsals for HP Sauce advertisements with his cameo appearances on The Sooty Show.

Unfortunately I don't see Tyson been able to beat Ali. Tyson has demonstrated time and time again that he never had the mental strength to deal with boxers who weren't imtimated by him.

As exciting and good Tyson was to watch, he doesn't even make it into my top ten all time heavies.

Muhammad Ali

2. Joe Louis

3. George Foreman

4. Larry Holmes

5. Gene Tunney

6. Rocky Marciano

7. Evander Holyfield

8. Joe Frazier

9. Sonny Liston

10. Jersey Joe Walcott

Originally posted by Lickszz

Unfortunately I don't see Tyson been able to beat Ali. Tyson has demonstrated time and time again that he never had the mental strength to deal with boxers who weren't imtimated by him.

As exciting and good Tyson was to watch, he doesn't even make it into my top ten all time heavies.

Muhammad Ali

2. Joe Louis

3. George Foreman

4. Larry Holmes

5. Gene Tunney

6. Rocky Marciano

7. Evander Holyfield

8. Joe Frazier

9. Sonny Liston

10. Jersey Joe Walcott

Pretty decent list except I would put Tyson at the top of it just ahead of Ali.

Originally posted by serapis

Tyson was a mugger and Ali was a brilliant boxer. Tyson would have won hands down. They guy was a pure muscle killing machine. Bye far IMO the best boxer who ever lived!

Ali may have been the best heavy that ever lived along with Joe Louis but I can't place him as the best boxer that ever lived. He is one of the best but there are too many other names around who I hold in higher esteem, such as:

Harry Greb

Willie Pep

Benny Leonard

Ray Robinson

Sam Langford

Archie Moore

Jimmy Wilde

I have read that Ali frequently held back in a fight to put on a show (I think it was in Davis Miller's Ali book).

dfgenius,

I can believe that. Ali loved to taunt and tease opponents too, and to seemingly gloat over their plight. I always sensed the viciousness in him, the cruelty along with the arrogance which is absolutely required of any pugilist. All boxers have to have the capacity to deal out pain [as well as absorb it] relentlessly. Ali, very much like Roberto Duran, seemed to enjoy the process of weakening and hurting his opponents. I imagine all boxers do, it is just that Ali made theatre out of it. Allegedly, he taunted Frasier all through their fights.

Amusingly, Frasier thought that the expression 'Uncle Tom' [ meaning a black person who grovels and kowtows to whites] meant the same as 'Peeping Tom'. In Frasier's words 'some guy who gets off lookin' thru folks' windows at night!'...

Originally posted by spyro2000

Pretty decent list except I would put Tyson at the top of it just ahead of Ali.

That's fair enough, it's just that Tyson never actually beat any great fighters who were in their prime, so I don't believe that warrants him in any all time list. He is remembered for quitting in numerous fights when things weren't going his way.

Surely ALI would win . He is much composed compared to tyson

Originally posted by pk014b7161

bit of fun, tyson aged 23 v ali 23 who,d win & why

having just finished watching the whole of tysons career on dvd my opinion is this.........at 20 tyson would have been far too strong for ali but at 30 + ali would have out boxed tyson easily.