Your reaction to a loved one wrongly executed

First of all, this is NOT a thread about whether the death penalty is right or wrong, there is already a thread about that.

In that thread there are several people who say they don't mind/care if some innocents have their lives taken from them.

Some of these people are quick to preach the evils of cannabis on another thread and say it needs to stay illegal (without any real explanation), but would like to make the death penalty legal here, even if innocents lose their lives.

My question is this, how would you feel/react/cope if your son, daughter, father, mother, brother or sister was executed for a crime they didn't commit.

I don't just mean the fact that they are taken from you, I mean the WHOLE ordeal, which includes the shock of finding out what they are accused of, the hope of them being found innocent - then the horror of them being found guilty and being sentenced to death.

Then begins the lengthy rollercoaster ride of appeals and petitions, the media circus, the possible loss of your job (some people simply wouldn't be able to get through their daily lives in a normal way with all this on their minds), and the legal costs, both of which could result in the loss of your home and/or financial ruin. More hope and despair, agonising waits to hear news of what is to happen, then....

the day your loved one is executed.

After this, I can understand how many would be broken people, mentally or even physically. Some may still seek justice, to clear their loved one's name. Some may give up on life and slowly go off the rails or simply stop caring about anything. Some may commit suicide. Some may seek vengeance.

Many supporters of the death penalty view it as "an eye for an eye", if the executee was found to be innocent AFTER the execution, shouldn't the judge then be executed, an eye for an eye? The judge has (indirectly) murdered an innocent man. Or you could blame the executor him/herself.Please try and put yourself in this position and think it through before posting.

You mean sort of incorporating some kind if Islamic law into western judicial law?

Don't be daft :hihi: :hihi:

Sounds good to me.

Yeah! Fits right in with Iranian law :D

I don't honestly know how I'd react but I believe my reactions could well go against my usual moral standards. The judge should indeed be held fully responsible, at the VERY LEAST serving a custodial sentence.

The judge only rules on points of law; he is not responsible for evidence, or lack of evidence, leading to a conviction.

The judge only rules on points of law; he is not responsible for evidence, or lack of evidence, leading to a conviction.

She is the one who passes down sentence upon conviction, particularly where the death penalty is concerned.

There is a case going thru the Italian courts

involving murdered british student Meredith Kercher

and the conviction of american stundent Amanda Knox

The mothers of these two girls have been interviewed

on TV and both are very emotional about the case

Some of the evidence is allegedly suspect, and if

believed the whole investigation was bungled.

The judge has appointed 'Experts' to look at the evidence

The prosecution say the 'Experts' are not qualified enough

to examine the evidence.

A final judgement is will be made by October, if found

guilty she faces 25 years behind bars.

It seems to me the american will be convicted or acquitted

not whether she committed the crime but rather what organizations

or inividuals will be damaged least.

The same goes for the hypothetical question, if there is

no-doubt and you are a close friend/ relative well thats how

it is:- and deep down you know that. But if you have good

solid reasons to believe otherwise then, the rest of your

life is going to be tough and quite probably fall apart.

How does it do that exactly?

That's an easy one. Example:

Some time ago in Iran a young woman had acid thrown in her face by a man she rejected. It disfigured her face and blinded her.

The Iranian judge ruled that the woman in turn would be allowed to disfigure and blind the man using the same method. Whether she actually did or not I dont know. So that is justice Iranian style

This story attracted the attention of the western media at the time.

If unbalanced and clueless people advocate the revenge killing of judges then that fits right in

Edited by Harleyman

That's an easy one. Example:

Some time ago in Iran a young woman had acid thrown in her face by a man she rejected. It disfigured her face and blinded her.

The Iranian judge ruled that the woman in turn would be allowed to disfigure and blind the man using the same method. Whether she actually did or not I dont know. So that is justice Iranian style

This story attracted the attention of the western media at the time.

If unbalanced and clueless people advocate the revenge killing of judges then that fits right in

Who is advocating the revenge killing of judges?

I am advocating the death penalty for handing down the death penalty to innocent people - do they have that in Iran?

I'm sure innocent people have paid with their lives for a crime they did not commit, the legal system is flawed and is bound to make mistakes. As for how it would feel if that happened to someone I loved, I cannot even begin to imagine, but I'm sure I would spend the rest of my life trying to prove their innocence so that everyone would know the injustice of it

What if God was the executioner and he could see everything ,new all the facts and then executed justice ??

would he be wrong in doing that ?

Who is advocating the revenge killing of judges?

I am advocating the death penalty for handing down the death penalty to innocent people - do they have that in Iran?

Dont' you even undertamding ANYTHING about the way the judicial system works ? ? ?

Why would a freakin judge pass the death penalty on an inocent person ? ?

Let me give you the basics of common law:

A person is arrested for committing a crime

That person under the law is presumed innocent before the trial starts

A jury of 12 is selected by the court to hear his case

The trial begins

Evidence is presented by the prosecutor before the court (jury included)

The lawyer for the defendant makes the case for his innocence before the court (jury included)

Closing arguments are presented to the jury by the prosecutor and the defence counsel

The presiding judge issues his intructions to the jury

The jury retires to deliberate

The jury reaches a verdict. In this case after examining all the evidence the jury unanimously reaches a guilty verdict

The jury foreman reads the verdict to the court "guilty"

The judge then passes sentence

Therefore: Why in hell do you think that the judge is sentencing an innocent man???? :loopy:

What do you think juries are for? Wall decorations ??

It seems that more SF members should be called for jury duty in Sheffield courts and in that way they might not be so inclined to start daft threads about "judges sentencing innocent people

Blimey !!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited by Harleyman

Dont' you even undertamding ANYTHING about the way the judicial system works ? ? ?

Blimey !!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes. There's no need for histrionics.

I'm hypothesising the execution of an innocent friend or member of my family through a miscarriage of justice.

I'm assuming you have heard of that term?

That is the entire premise of the thread, as you will see from the title where it says wrongly executed

This is a thought experiment, perhaps if you read the thread this will become apparent to you.

Your assumption that everyone is more stupid than you - when you can't even take the trouble to read what is being written within the context of the thread, so that you inevitably end up getting hold of the wrong end of the stick, flying off the handle and strewing your posts with exclamation marks and sarcastic smileys - is your forum trademark.

Long may you continue with it.

Edited by Phanerothyme