Thanks to the South Yorkshire Police and RAC

so heartbreaking, i cried when i read this.

Me too! :cry:

Glad you're all safe and well. Can you report the fault regarding your navigation system, so others don't get caught out? They should be held accountable in this.

Not sure I really follow. Road signs, warning signs, and common sense all still apply in the same way that they did before satnavs came along :)

I have friends and family members that have been long serving Bobbies, but I feel I have a balanced view of the police as opposed to a pro-police view.

I think some of the posters on this thread should take a look at this blog post; it's a true story. Be warned, it is pretty harrowing, it'll stay with me for a long time.

http://minimumcover.wordpress.com/2011/09/16/and-then-there-was-silence/

I read it made me cry......

My dad was a fireman before he died,i often used to think of the things he had to deal with while doing his job...it was a kind of unwritten rule he never spoke about work(bad things)and we never asked......

For anyone who is in the police,fireservice,ambulance i feel are a certain type of person,and are really taken for granted......

If only the general public could walk in their shoes for a day,my god would they change their opinion......

But as is such the case for many things these days total LACK OF RESPECT.

My dad was a fireman before he died,i often used to think of the things he had to deal with while doing his job...it was a kind of unwritten rule he never spoke about work(bad things)and we never asked......

For anyone who is in the police,fireservice,ambulance i feel are a certain type of person,and are really taken for granted......

If only the general public could walk in their shoes for a day,my god would they change their opinion......

My bold.

I think you have to be a very strong person to be able to just internalise that kind of experience. Most days I come home complaining about something or nothing, and I just work in an office. :|

Good job from police but next time check the navi. some times they drive you in a weong direction.

Its a sad story but it dosent mean complaints against the bent coppers are any less valid just because it appears one may possibly have a heart.

Think of all the lives ruined by dodgy coppers. It goes on every day.

Edited by MrMoran

Not sure I really follow. Road signs, warning signs, and common sense all still apply in the same way that they did before satnavs came along :)

Obviously common sense forms part of the downpayment for satnav's

Yesterday me and my brother and 2 sons drove from Nottingham heading towards salford manchester to buy a car.

anyway the in car navigation gaves us a route via chesterfield, and calculated 42 miles.

we went throgh some lovley countryside and villages however didnt realise what was to come next.

the navigation directed us to a place called Mam TOr edale castleton and when we realised we was wrong we tried to do a U turn at the dead end when the car sliiped and the rear wheels fell into a stream/pond.

with no one to help or not even knowing where we was we walked in the open oitch black peak district until i was able to get signal on my cell phone. and called for police and rac assistance as i had 2 young children.

within 2 hours both the police and rac truck and helped drag out the car from the river/pond.

both the police officer and rac was from sheffield and i just wanted to to say thankyou so much for your help as i couldnt get your names to personally thankyou.

well put your faith in a satnav and thats what happens get thee self a map and always trust your eyes and not some computerised pile of poo:)

Sat- Nav, best thing since sliced bread, if you use them correctly. Used as an AID to driving they are spot on.

If your Sat - Nav told you to drive over a cliff, would you do it - of course not, common sense would tell you its dangerous, and life threatning.

What about the idiots who drive through a ford in flood, just because their Sat - Nav tell them to, then they end up stuck in the middle of a small river. Total clowns is the best description for them.

Regards

Angel.

Its a sad story but it dosent mean complaints against the bent coppers are any less valid just because one of the appears one may possibly have a heart.

Think of all the lives ruined by dodgy coppers. It goes on every day.

Oh shut up you wretched little person. Let's hope you never need help from one. Perhaps you'll get a bent one who'll abandon you & then your last thoughts can be "I was right after all". Hope it makes you happy.

And if this post gets me a ban it'll be worth it.

Edited by irenewilde

so heartbreaking, i cried when i read this.

Me too. Just harrowing and horrendous.

This story is nonsense. No way did any sat nav ever send anyone up there.

Doesn't the road have signs saying its shut anyway? I thought it did.