Sheffield Pubs with Roaring Fires. Where?

we're planning an all dayer on Saturday and really want to see the dark night arrive while sitting round an open fire, drinking beer and being silly, yet warm at the same time.

can anyone recommend a pub with such a fire? electric fires and plasma screens need not apply.....

Only one I can think of is the Horse and Jockey on Wadsley lane in Hillsborough.

i think the cricket inn at totley does, and possibly the crown at totley also. we went into the Foxhouse yesterday, and that had its fire going.

at Foxhouse, having just read your post properly - sorry- its going to be too far out for you, its out past Owler bar on the way to Bakewell.

The Sportsman on Walkley Bank Rd, Walkley, S6 had a cracking fire last time I went (which was about this time last year). Proper coal, proper logs - lovely. Decent beer and not too chintzy a pub for an all-dayer. Though a bit more 'local' than a country pub-type place so not everyone's cup of tea.

Fox House Inn is at: Hathersage Road, Longshaw, S11. Past Dore and out into the countryside. Never been myself so not sure if it's worth the trek out.

Also you could go in a bookshop and have a peep in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide under South Yorks, Sheffield - those which have 'real fires' have a little symbol. If anyone's got one to hand they could post them here...

Nice 1, wa out round sheff all weekend, went to a comedy thing satday

was a couple of ace nites, gunna be out agen this weekend comin shud be beta

The Red Deer just off Mappin Street is lovely with a nice roaring fire :-)

Not a real fire in the Red Deer though is it? Thought it was a living flame gas job in the bar side - but can't quite remember to be honest.

Resurrecting this old thread for the winter, does anyone know which local pubs have real fires for cosying round?

Cross Scythes , Derbyshire Lane, I think.