Is there anyone left on here that defends this Government?

do you support the governments plans to repay the uk debt ?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. do you support the governments plans to repay the uk debt ?

• yes i support the governments plans to repay the debt
    • no i do not support the governments plan to repay the debt
    • i dont care at all.

Mining was uncompetitive and any hopes of recovery destroyed by Scargill and the unions. The automotive industries in the UK were killed by the 1970s unions and never recovered. General engineering in Sheffield was no worse hit by the 80s recession than anywhere else. Ship building lost out to cheaper overseas competition.

Still, you can blame the Conservative government if it makes you feel better.[/QUOTE]

We ALL know who was to blame thanks.

No, but in this case JFK clearly IMO had no idea of what he was on about wrt the 1980's as demonstrated by his claim about it being easy to find work.

Well, to be honest, I had no trouble in the 80's finding work....was never out of it..and I lived and worked in Sheffield..

Mining was uncompetitive and any hopes of recovery destroyed by Scargill and the unions. The automotive industries in the UK were killed by the 1970s unions and never recovered. General engineering in Sheffield was no worse hit by the 80s recession than anywhere else. Ship building lost out to cheaper overseas competition.

Still, you can blame the Conservative government if it makes you feel better.

That's not right what about all the japanese motor manufacturers who set up shop here when Blair was in charge.

That's not right what about all the japanese motor manufacturers who set up shop here when Blair was in charge.

You mean like the largest one (Nissan) which opened in 86?

You mean, those same japanese motor manufacturers who started investing under the Tories in the mid-80s?

And who are still investing today under the Coalition Gvt?

Riiight, I thought that's who you meant :D

EDIT - * ash * made me do it :hihi:

Still, you can blame the Conservative government if it makes you feel better

We ALL know who was to blame thanks.

So you speak for ALL the people then? You sound like a union boss.

What about the post that Conrad wrote... how would YOU speaking for ALL the people have stopped over other countries under-cutting UK manufacturing?

(it's a genuine question - I would like to know)

You mean like the largest one (Nissan) which opened in 86?

Or Honda in Swindon which opened in '89 I think,or Toyota at Burneston at more or less the same time..both under the tories..

You mean, those same japanese motor manufacturers who started investing under the Tories in the mid-80s?

And who are still investing today under the Coalition Gvt?

Riiight, I thought that's who you meant :D

EDIT - * ash * made me do it :hihi:

But what about people like Ford, Rover and Vauxhall who have closed down their Uk plants.

No, but in this case JFK clearly IMO had no idea of what he was on about wrt the 1980's as demonstrated by his claim about it being easy to find work.

Hang on a moment, talk about miss-representing my point.

My point was that the world changed in the '80s, and people in Sheffield weren't almost guaranteed a job when you left school irrespective of the qualifications you gained, like they were before. The days were gone when you could walk out of a job on Friday and be in a job by Monday.

The problem is that the world changed, but the peoples attitudes didn't.

But what about people like Ford, Rover and Vauxhall who have closed down their Uk plants.

Rover went while Tony/Gordon was in power,Vauxhall closed Luton in 2000 or so..ford closed loads of places around 2007-2009...all under Labour...what are you trying to say?

Still, you can blame the Conservative government if it makes you feel better.

Was mining uncompetitive? Give us the facts and figures

I don't think overseas companies setting up in the UK in the 90s contradicts a claim that unions killed most of the native British car industry in the 70s.