Is there anyone left on here that defends this Government?

do you support the governments plans to repay the uk debt ?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. do you support the governments plans to repay the uk debt ?

• yes i support the governments plans to repay the debt
    • no i do not support the governments plan to repay the debt
    • i dont care at all.

Was it Conservative policy for steelmaking in the developing world to be far cheaper and more competitive than offerings from Sheffield at the time?

I'll just put your comment down to obtuse ignorance. If you have to ask why your reply was ignorant, well, then the Internet is not for you.

Mining was uncompetitive and any hopes of recovery destroyed by Scargill and the unions. The automotive industries in the UK were killed by the 1970s unions and never recovered. General engineering in Sheffield was no worse hit by the 80s recession than anywhere else. Ship building lost out to cheaper overseas competition.

Still, you can blame the Conservative government if it makes you feel better.

Why would anyone want to blame the Tory governent? :huh: Ah got it! They were in office at the time. Problem solved.

It's a mistake to continue with the ridiculous and false idea that only the public sector should (or do) deliver government funded services. Government should be a simple and efficient procurer of collective services on behalf of citizens. With few exceptions, it should not be the deliverer.

I think we're probably going to be ideologically opposed on this one. I think it's ridiculous for my tax pounds to go to shareholders of a company which provides government funded services. I would far rather that a committed public sector deliver the services necessary.

how can anyone beleive that the tories are "were all in this together " when they havent seen a cut in their wages/pensions/lifestyle etc . the only cuts these parasites see is in how much tax they get away with paying ,while the rest pick up the bill. the 6 energy companies according to a paper today made 30 billion pounds between them, yet the tories let them get away with paying minium tax on their profits. ask yourself this whos the mugs :loopy:

Mining was uncompetitive and any hopes of recovery destroyed by Scargill and the unions. The automotive industries in the UK were killed by the 1970s unions and never recovered. General engineering in Sheffield was no worse hit by the 80s recession than anywhere else. Ship building lost out to cheaper overseas competition.

Still, you can blame the Conservative government if it makes you feel better.

When you hear of possible strike action by Unions do you keep an open mind, do some research into the dispute and examine the issues surrounding the problem to find out why Unions have been forced into such drastic actions.

Or do you do none of these things and just automatically go into brain-dead mode and assume it’s the Unions fault, without really knowing anything about it?

Edited by MrSmith

When you hear of possible strike action by Unions do you keep an open mind, do some research into the dispute and examine the issues surrounding the problem to find out why Unions have been forced into such drastic actions.

Or do you do none of these things and just automatically go into brain-dead mode and assume it’s the Unions fault, without really knowing anything about it?

There is no excuse for striking. We're not in the era of workhouses now, all employees are paid a fair wage for a day's work. Some get greedy, or try to meddle with the company's business when it decides it needs to shed or relocate staff. Strike action should be interpreted as an employee handing in their immediate notice.

When you hear of governments cutting back on expenditure do you immediately blame the Tories or do you research into how much of a deficit the last government passed on and how we have been forced into this drastic action?

Or do you do none of these things and assume if Labour were in charge that they could magic money out of thin air and employ all those out of work in highly paid public sector jobs paid for by using Monopoly money?i

Why would anyone want to blame the Tory governent? :huh: Ah got it! They were in office at the time. Problem solved.

But wasn't UK manufacturing output far higher when Thatcher left office than when she came to power in 1979? Not only that wasn't UK steel production also higher?

In 1979 manufacturing was only 16% of GDP but had risen to over 20% by 1997. Sadly it had dropped of to around 13.5% again by 2010.

There is no excuse for striking. We're not in the era of workhouses now, all employees are paid a fair wage for a day's work. Some get greedy, or try to meddle with the company's business when it decides it needs to shed or relocate staff. Strike action should be interpreted as an employee handing in their immediate notice.

But you have just proved how little you know about strikes. You are assuming they are always about money which they are not.

So without knowing it you have answered my question. You are not interested in facts and evidence because you have made your mind up already.

Do some research then you will have an informed opinion rather than a biased and bigoted one.

Edited by Keith Rich

When you hear of governments cutting back on expenditure do you immediately blame the Tories or do you research into how much of a deficit the last government passed on and how we have been forced into this drastic action?

Or do you do none of these things and assume if Labour were in charge that they could magic money out of thin air and employ all those out of work in highly paid public sector jobs paid for by using Monopoly money?i

I do lots of research. Do you understand why there is a deficit? I mean the real reason, not what you have read in the Daily Mail