Received a parking ticket from a ppc

I agree that the fine should be ignored at least until it's a legal requirement to do so which it appears for now that it isn't.

Not a fine.

We're aware of the fact that enforcing these fines is pretty unlikely but it remains that he parked illegally in the first place, when is it not ok to do this?

Which law was broken then please?

Quote the act.

its just an invoice. Look on money saving expert forum and see the letters to expect.

There is no law to enforce as its a scam.

If you ever get a phone call from 'graham White solicitors' ask to speak to a real solicitor as the company is just a debt collection firm and it will fox them

!!

the principle to me is, he's parked somewhere he knew he shouldn't have but did it anyway.

he even pointed out there were signs saying he would be clamped.

people need to learn right from wrong.

Which law was broken then please?

Quote the act.

Parking in an area clearly marked for staff use only and you know as well as i do that there isn't an Act that deals specifically with this situation. Your logic suggests that it's ok for people to park anywhere they like regardless of signs stating the opposite such as a Hospital Main Entrance marked for Ambulances for instance.

Parking in an area clearly marked for staff use only and you know as well as i do that there isn't an Act that deals specifically with this situation. Your logic suggests that it's ok for people to park anywhere they like regardless of signs stating the opposite such as a Hospital Main Entrance marked for Ambulances for instance.

You stated he parked illegally. So therefore he committed an offence.

Please dont use terms unless you understand the meaning of them!

No law has been broken.

VCS' (a subsidiary of Excel) claim is that by parking there he agreed to a contract to pay a sum of money in exchange for the parking. He cannot be in a contract for parking and be illegally parked simultaneously.

They need an offer and an acceptance. The offer is parking in exchange for some money. They argue that the act of parking is an acceptance, although the signage is often so illegible that such a claim cannot be justified (particularly from Excel)

The landowner may be eligible for the damages they have suffered - the reasonable cost of 8 minutes parking in this case.

£80 cannot be deemed to be reasonable costs and private companies cannot levy penalties. VCS have shot themselves in the foot by saying it's £120 after so many days -- this clearly makes it a penalty because reasonable costs don't suddenly increase. So the claim for £80/£120 appears to be an unlawful and unenforceable contractual penalty.

Whether there is a moral case for paying is also debateable. The landowner will not get the money, VCS (Excel) will.

The link above is to report on a court case where Excel had put up such tiny signs saying "Pay and Display" that the judge found no contract could possibly have been formed and some 11,000 people were unfairly penalised. Morally (and perhaps legally), Excel should now refund the £500,000 to £1,000,000 they took from those motorists.

As I said earlier, I'm in agreement that the companies responsible for these 'fines' cannot enforce them and therefore the payment should be withheld. My argument is that the OP knowingly parked somewhere he shouldn't have and is unhappy with the events that followed.

You stated he parked illegally. So therefore he committed an offence.

Please dont use terms unless you understand the meaning of them!

I'm well aware of the meaning of the word it's you that appears to be deficient. Besides it's common relation with the law the word 'illegal' can be used to describe official rules and regulations such as Staff Parking Only.

I'm well aware of the meaning of the word it's you that appears to be deficient. Besides it's common relation with the law the word 'illegal' can be used to describe official rules and regulations such as Staff Parking Only.

If parking there is forbidden then he cannot possibly be in a contract for parking and no payment can be due. :)

The offer is purportedly "Staff are free, others are £80".

Frankly I'd have thought we'd be better off without pond life PPCs. The company could have put a simple note on the chap's windscreen rather than all this huffing and puffing -- the vast majority would not come back.

If parking there is forbidden then he cannot possibly be in a contract for parking and no payment can be due. :)

The offer is purportedly "Staff are free, others are £80".

Frankly I'd have thought we'd be better off without pond life PPCs. The company could have put a simple note on the chap's windscreen rather than all this huffing and puffing -- the vast majority would not come back.

In a perfect world, sadly common sense ceased prevailing some years ago ;)

Visit this website and read the section on tickets you will find that you will get 3 letters threatening all sorts but nowt happens. Stop the profiteering of companies who use loopholes in the law to extort money via parking charges. Search for the company in question and you will find the answer

http://forums.pepipoo.com/

spread the word to all your friends and family and stop the parking rip off that shames this country

Edited by firesmudge

the principle to me is, he's parked somewhere he knew he shouldn't have but did it anyway.

he even pointed out there were signs saying he would be clamped.

people need to learn right from wrong.

So. if I put up a 'no parking/clamping' sign anywhere I want- I'm entitled to 'fine' anyone who (rightly) ignores it?

Because that's what this company has done.

So. if I put up a 'no parking/clamping' sign anywhere I want- I'm entitled to 'fine' anyone who (rightly) ignores it?

Because that's what this company has done.

You can put it up on your own property or with the permission of the property owner I suppose...not "anywhere you want"