When I was a smoker

Personally, I would feel safer sitting in my front room with some one smoking than standing in a garage with some one running a car engine.

I just don't get how anyone can complain about some one smoking in the street and then drive off in a car. ..

but that's my opinion.

I stopped smoking on my birthday one year before I retired the reasons were purely financial, but the side benefits soon became pretty obvious, not only in my pocket.

Some of them daft things like being able to go to bed with out worrying if I'd put me fag out properly, walking into a room and thinking how fresh it smelled,walking up hills and of course the old taste bud thingy.

I'd come to feel the time was long over due for me to pack it in, and though I still miss it at times like an old friend, I knew it was the right time for me...

Edited by grinder

When I was a smoker.

At the age of 7 I dabbled with the occasional ciggy. When I was 9 I became a professional smoking smoker. I am now 58 and easily pass for 40 and have a few smile creases at the side of my eyes. I don’t have a single line on my forehead, and apart from the occasional ache I feel top fit. I have always smoked heavily and for years have rolled my own fags. However, this is a one off, and I could be struck down with lung cancer at any time.

I don’t recommend for people to start smoking, it is a stinky, dirty habit, affects others and costs cASH as well.

I do miss that bird though from telly, who used to lay at the side of the river advertising Consulate menthol cigs.

The fags I started with were Ariel, Kensitas and Guards followed by Carlton, Bristol and 3 Castles. I eventually progressed to Capstan, Woodbines and Park Drive. I went on to plain fags because I didn’t want to be branded a puff by smoking tipped (filter) fags which are what women smoke(d).

Does anybody remember the Sovereign girls in the early 70’s outside Woolworths in Haymarket? These lasses were giving away packs of 2 Sovereign cigarettes. I got a pack and kept going in and out of the shop until I got 7 packs (14 fags) butt I was rumbled, Flip-ping heck. About twelve years ago there were Marlboro Lite girls giving fags away outside Broomhill pubs.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

Zakes (St. Burno).

I started at 14 years old in 1963, used to buy 5 Park Drive for tenpence halfpenny. Smoked almost everthing, tipped, plain, roll ups. Stopping was easy, medics told me CT scan result, LUNG CANCER.

Stop while you can, its easier than you think.

How are you doing nimrod?

Silk Cut - awful. Never suited me in health of fashion - couldn't even hold the ciggy right without nearly setting me or someone else alight! Used to think a smoke was cool. Must ave been mad.

Started smoking back in the Fifties, I'd joined the Army cadets and being in a uniform thought I'd look the part..:hihi:

For years I didn't go anywhere with out me fags and all my mates where the same every body smoked.

So Ten Park Drive and a box of Capt Webs was a constant companion in my youth,unless we were on Holiday then it was best fags, usually Capstan or Players, and that's how it stayed for many years ,till tipped fags took over ..

So which cigarette did you start smoking with ?

What happened to Sport cigs and Nosegay and Turf. ?, I liked Players Weights but would smoke anything. I remember Paffing Clouds wehich I bought at Page Hall, when I started fags didn't kill you it was started by the Government.:banana:

I am now " smoked " like a kipper, one way of preserving things.

Edited by Lucifer
Add to

Can't recall the name of the fags I first smoked, we got them from a machine outside the tobacconists, I remember the picture on the pack was three darts all sticking into the bull. When I joined the RN in 49 we had access to duty free cigarettes & tobacco, we used to get Woodbines which were as large as Players or Senior Service, they cost 4d for 20. How can anybody afford to smoke these days, I understand they are about £6 per packet, crazy!

Can't recall the name of the fags I first smoked, we got them from a machine outside the tobacconists, I remember the picture on the pack was three darts all sticking into the bull...
Could it have been this pack?

Can anyone elaborate on this bit of prose from the fifties? I think there was more.

Willy Woodbine took Sweet Afton down Park Drive, laid her on the Turf and had a Shag.