Cheapest Pint In The Area?

isn't this what's wrong with Sheffield and society in general?

People hunting down the cheapest of everything without any regard to quality.

I pay £3.20 for a pint of Thornbridge Jaipur at my local. For those who are unfamiliar with it, this is an Indian Pale Ale, 5.9% alcohol by volume. It is served on handpump and the beer is a bright golden colour with a thick white creamy head that marks rings around the glass as you drink it down. It is as smooth as silk on the palate and full of complex flavours and well hopped. It is like golden nectar and not surprisingly has won many awards for being one of the top beers in the whole country.

I would rather drink my own pee than many of the crappy beers that Wetherspoons and the like sell cheaply.

But - if it's all about price then by all means go to Wetherspoons - you'll love it.

For a lot of people Tup I think it is, £3.20 is steep but if its nice good on ya, I can remember years ago when beer went to 19p a pint in Birley, I went bananas. I've always said one of the ways to tell a good pint is the ring that follows it all way down glass.

There's a limit to what I would now pay for a pint,I remember Paris 10 years ago £7 a pint,not cos I liked it but thats what it was.

Nowdays in Sheff there's loadsa choices and even though I like Jaipur I know I can get beer I like as much for £2.50 and less a pint.

sam smiths old brewery bitter 1.57

Update on this old thread, Sam Smiths old brewery bitter £1.80 lager £2.10 not a promotion just well priced beer from a family run brewery,one of the oldest in the UK

There's a limit to what I would now pay for a pint,I remember Paris 10 years ago £7 a pint,not cos I liked it but thats what it was.

Nowdays in Sheff there's loadsa choices and even though I like Jaipur I know I can get beer I like as much for £2.50 and less a pint.

I fully appreciate that. If I could find a beer I liked as good as Jaipur for £2.50 a pint then I'd probably choose to drink that instead as well. Absolutely - why not?

By the way, I use Jaipur as an example, it doesn't have to be Jaipur - but generally I expect to pay around £3 a pint in most places for a good, well kept, pint of real ale.

One exception to this is the Nag's Head at Loxley - which I think is probably the best pub for price and quality of its ales in this area. They act as the brewery tap for the Bradfield brewery and all the beers, regardless of strength, are the same price. It was £1.80 a pint last time I visited a few months ago.

I don't know anywhere else that has beer of that quality at that price. And yes I do know about Sam Smith's - which is usually very competitive - but you can't compare the quality of their standard bitter with the stuff Bradfield and Thornbridge turn out.

Finally - it's also about the pub itself - and the people that go there.

I'd rather not bother having a drink than go to some of the places that folks talk about on here.

If you don't mind Wetherspoons The Swim on Glossop Road usually has Jaipur on tap for £2.30/pint.

I've not been for a few weeks because my mate is on hols in California, but the last time we went it was still there.

Regards

Doom

If you don't mind Wetherspoons The Swim on Glossop Road usually has Jaipur on tap for £2.30/pint.

I've not been for a few weeks because my mate is on hols in California, but the last time we went it was still there.

Regards

Doom

I have never had a pint of well kept real ale in any Wetherspoons pub - anywhere in the country.

I have never had a pint of well kept real ale in any Wetherspoons pub - anywhere in the country.

I agree, whilst they have lots of decent beers on they are never kept that well

isn't this what's wrong with Sheffield and society in general?

People hunting down the cheapest of everything without any regard to quality.

I pay £3.20 for a pint of Thornbridge Jaipur at my local. For those who are unfamiliar with it, this is an Indian Pale Ale, 5.9% alcohol by volume. It is served on handpump and the beer is a bright golden colour with a thick white creamy head that marks rings around the glass as you drink it down. It is as smooth as silk on the palate and full of complex flavours and well hopped. It is like golden nectar and not surprisingly has won many awards for being one of the top beers in the whole country.

I would rather drink my own pee than many of the crappy beers that Wetherspoons and the like sell cheaply.

But - if it's all about price then by all means go to Wetherspoons - you'll love it.

I enjoyed a pint of Jaipur yesterday for £2.50...in Wetherspoons. It was perfectly kept. Wetherspoons sells a great range of constantly changing real ales from large and small brewers throughout the country (and the world during its beer festival week). They have done a lot to promote real ale. Dont get on to the fashionistas band wagon of knocking them just because they are a big chain. They sell it cheaply because they can afford to. Fair enough sometimes the quality can suffer due to the usual issues a huge organisation has to manage, versus the lone landlord keeping 2 hand pumps on the go, but by and large Spoons do pretty well at serving interesting beers. Just dont drink them in the Bankers Draft!

I enjoyed a pint of Jaipur yesterday for £2.50...in Wetherspoons. It was perfectly kept. Wetherspoons sells a great range of constantly changing real ales from large and small brewers throughout the country (and the world during its beer festival week). They have done a lot to promote real ale. Dont get on to the fashionistas band wagon of knocking them just because they are a big chain. They sell it cheaply because they can afford to. Fair enough sometimes the quality can suffer due to the usual issues a huge organisation has to manage, versus the lone landlord keeping 2 hand pumps on the go, but by and large Spoons do pretty well at serving interesting beers. Just dont drink them in the Bankers Draft!

I agree mate, there's far too many beer snobs about who look down their noses at Wetherspoons and would rather pay £4 a pint in a Thornbridge pub to keep the poor people out.

I too like Thornbridge beers and find that there's usally at least one on at my local wetherspoons and yes, it is well kept! (it's the one near the hallamshire hospital).

I thought ALL Wetherspoons had the same price structure....can anyone back this up? All the Wetherspoons I have been in in many diff towns (not been in Swim inn tho in Sheff) have the same bar prices...am I correct?

The Bluecoat in Rotherham is more expensive than The Rhino in Rotherham.

I don't go into The Corn Law Rhymer, because it isn't very good.

Obviously you haven't been to the two in Rotherham, The Bluecoat and The Rhino.

Obviously I like a cheap pint, but save for Sheaf Island and Francis Newton all the Wetherspoons I know in Sheffield have a really crappy atmosphere. Cancels out the point of a cheap drink for me if you're going to drink it somewhere depressing...

I like to think that I'm paying for the whole package; a nice pint and somewhere lovely to drink it.