Benefits if dismissed?

Its private rented accomodation.

Are you living with a partner? If so and they work more than 16hrs a week you're unlikely to get any housing benefit.

jb

I got the info, having done it myself a few times.

Without children, onto the JSA (wasn't for long)

With children, even though I actually left my job, I got IS, and child tax credits, CHB and housing benefit, again not for long, but thats what happened.

I got working tax credits whilst working, and child tax credits when not.

If you have children, under 7, I think it is now, you can claim IS, and if the youngest is over 7, then you have to go for JSA.

Whether this is absolutely correct, I'm not sure. I've always been told to claim IS with children, you can still look for work when you're claiming it, but aren't forced into doing so like you are with JSA.

Your first post said "Job seekers allowance if you have no children, Income support and tax credits if you do. If you're sacked, dismissed, laid off, you can claim them, but not if you quit your job".

But that's not right. You can get IS if your children are under 7 - as you say in your 2nd post - but above that there's pressure to be on JSA and look for work. You can get JSA AND child tax credits, even working tax credits if you have a working partner. Your 2nd post implies it's working or child tax credits, but it's not. And in some cases you can pack in a job and get benefits.

What applies to one person doesn't apply to others necessarily. People can be put off applying for what they're entitled to if they think their entitlement is only the same as someone else's but two cases are rarely the same. People should get benefits advice about themselves and not based on what someone else got.