Are christians all racist?

I only wondered, because they seem to have churhes for white people and churches for black people?

What's that all about? Are they racists at heart? Why don't they share and share alike?

Confused,

Jamie.

coz religion is the biggest load of pap ever invented. they make up rules that even they dont stick to. so i struggle to understand any of their views.

Originally posted by Jamie

I only wondered, because they seem to have churhes for white people and churches for black people?

What's that all about? Are they racists at heart? Why don't they share and share alike?

Confused,

Jamie.

Dont know where you got that from Jamie. Ive never heard of a church thats just for a specific colour :confused:

Hang on a minute....

Just because a Church may have predominantly white or black members doesn't make the worshippers more or less racist than the rest of us. The argument I'm making here, btw, is for the UK, not other countries 'cos I don't know about other countries!

There are types of worship that are more associated with, for example, the black community - certain types of evangelical church, for example - and others that might be more associated with whites - high Anglican, for example.

I've worshipped in churches with mixed congregations, but rarely notice whether a church I'm in is predominately white or black.

So....the answer to teh question, from my own experience, is No.

Joe

Originally posted by spyro2000

Dont know where you got that from Jamie. Ive never heard of a church thats just for a specific colour :confused:

Well, as I travel down city road on some sunday mornings (on my way to the gym), I notice a church on the left is full of black folk (all doing the sing-along with jesus thing, or so I imagine!), and then st aidens on the right, has all the white folk!

Why don't they swap and change a bit? See what the others get up to?

No, jamie, i don't think that's necessarily so...

There *are* some churches (particularly in the deep south of america) who use their church as a front for bigotry.

However, (trying not to generalise) most "Black" churches I have come across over the years, tend to have a very lively, "pentecostal" type of worship, where it's acceptable to dance, clap, and generally be, shall we say "enthusiastic" in ones worship.

A lot of the "white" churches, (I'm thinking sort of Anglican, and some methodist, particularly, as examples) had/have more of a reputation for being "staid," and perhaps "stuffy" and "proper", where the most daring thing done is to perhaps exchange a peck on the cheek, or a handshake when "sharing the Peace" in the communion service.

If there's crossover between the different types of church "forms" of worship, the "incomer" might feel a bit unsure of themselves, and the exuberant worshipper might feel confined in the silence, and contemplative style of a "Quaker" service, and someone used to a "staid" form of service might feel that the service where people get up, and leap around as part of worship, a little too much to cope with.

I think it's a case of "each to their own", really:- it all depends what you feel comfortable/ happy with.

When I attended church, I attended churches where it was staid, and I have attended churches where, if the Spirit led, people would dance, and praise. It's horses for courses IMO>

PT

Originally posted by JoeP

There are types of worship that are more associated with, for example, the black community - certain types of evangelical church, for example - and others that might be more associated with whites - high Anglican, for example.

But isn't there some unspoken law that says white people can't go in to gospel churches full of black people, because they'll stand out too much?

I'm sure there is!

Please bear with me on this, while I'm being a tad light-hearted at the moment, I do also think there's a more serious point here.

Originally posted by Jamie

Well, as I travel down city road on some sunday mornings (on my way to the gym), I notice a church on the left is full of black folk (all doing the sing-along with jesus thing, or so I imagine!), and then st aidens on the right, has all the white folk!

Why don't they swap and change a bit? See what the others get up to?

The different styles of worship don't suit all.

For example, I don't like the overtly Evangelical / Gospel type worship of some churches, and feel too self concious to participate. But that's just a feature of the style of worship rather than anything else. For example, as someone who finds shaking hands with my fellow worshippers difficult at the best of times, actually hugging relative strangers would be hard going!! :)

And being in a church where an essential part of worship includes people being possessed by the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues, etc. - not me at all!!

But having said that maybe a change would open the mind a little.....I don't know.

Joe

Any colour person can go in any chuch- colour isn't the deciding factor in it- faith is!!!!

The new Archbishop of York is a Dr Sentamu - Britain's first black archbishop. Dr Sentamu received his Doctorate in 1984 and was consecrated Bishop in 1996.

He will be inaugurated at York Minster on November 30th. This is a bold, positive step and one I wholeheartedly applaud.

There is no room for racism in any walk of life, least of all the Church of England.

Joe P and Plain Talker have both explained why it appears there's a kind of apartheid operating amongst the churches on City Road. Simply, there isn't. They are both singing from the same Hymn Sheet, it's just the (mainly black) pentecostals are doing it with guitars, gospel choirs and a lot of dancing.

Meanwhile, in (mainly white) methodist churches, the sound of a dripping candle has brought the service to a standstill....

...Joke!!!!!

Originally posted by Ousetunes

The new Archbishop of York is a Dr Sentamu - Britain's first black archbishop. Dr Sentamu received his Doctorate in 1984 and was consecrated Bishop in 1996.

He will be inaugurated at York Minster on November 30th. This is a bold, positive step and one I wholeheartedly applaud.

There is no room for racism in any walk of life, least of all the Church of England.

Joe P and Plain Talker have both explained why it appears there's a kind of apartheid operating amongst the churches on City Road. Simply, there isn't. They are both singing from the same Hymn Sheet, it's just the (mainly black) pentecostals are doing it with guitars, gospel choirs and a lot of dancing.

Meanwhile, in (mainly white) methodist churches, the sound of a dripping candle has brought the service to a standstill....

...Joke!!!!!

Well put.

Religion is fast fading and will eventually stop. Many beliefs are so dhiluted now, that in a thousand years (or less) it'll be gone. The world is fast becoming a place driven by knwoledge, fairness and understanding - look how far we have come in such a short period. (Don't pose more questions here - just research how far we've come and see the bigger picture). Racism/discrimination stems from lack of understanding and fear. The more we understand, the less we fear.