Brick Works / Quarry Woodseats (woodseats road)

Hi all

I'm trying to find some information regarding a brickworks / quarry at the top of Wooseats Road.

I know this smaller brickworks was eventually bought out by the bigger Woodside Brick Co (the massive quarry on Chesterfield Rd homebase is now built on the land) sometime around the 30's and information on this is quite accessible.

The information I'm after is

Who owned it (I think the gentlemans name was Enoch or (Joseph) Joe enoch) but would like to know for sure?

Does anyone one know his family or are any of you actually realted to him?

Does anyone know where he live when he died etc... basically anything would be nice :)

The reason I'm after the information is that my Grandad always talked about him and refered to him as his uncle... he mentioned he was quite a well known man and a bit of a character

Unfortunately my Grandad passed away some years back so I can't ask him and I'm trying to research my fmily tree etc

Thanks for your time

Hi thejonester,

I cannot confirm that the owner was Joe Enoch but it wouldn't surprise me as the gent lived very close to Woodseats Road. I know a little bit about the Enoch family and would be happy to share.

PM me if you're interested.

Try phoning Neil Bates at Richmond road Garage, I think his father had something to do with the brickyard they used to live in the big house just before Homebase. I cannot be 100% though, It was in the sixties the last time I went there.

Could the father of Neil Bates have been the manager there ? Very well built (do not mean fat) gent, I remember him always wearing good quality suites and overcoat, and usually a flat cap. I met him many times between Sept 1957 and mid 1959. I was part of the 3 man yeam who were sent to the brick works offices to audit their books of account. Our Company Audit Partner who looked after this account was called Roy Christian and we all worked for Accountants and Tax Advisors - Hubert Smith and Company their offices were on Campo Lane.

Something in the back of my mind point to the manager I have refered to as also being called Neil, but not exactly sure. He would have been possibly mid to late 40's at least.

Not much, but may help

Regards - Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia

Joe Enock (note spelling) was my Great Grandfather. Yes, he was a bit of a character. I can look up his dates, he died in the 1950's. I will add to this post later today.

The 1911 Census shows that Joe was age 48. Oddly, it spells his surname as Enoch, whereas I have it as Enock. It was my late father's middle name.

He was a well-known builder, and constructed all the houses on Woodseats Road and its offshoots, and the row of houses at Lowedges, etc. He lived at 'Belmont', the first house on Scarsdale Road, it had a large garden, a pair of semis were built on the lower part in later years. Yes, he and his business partner owned Woodbank Brickworks, later demolished. The site was subsequently sold to the Ponsford family, as they were worried about being bombed out of London Road, etc. In later years Homebase and others.

I don't know about any siblings, who may have been the uncle in question. He had 4 daughters: Ida Mary, Doris (Doll), Mabel (Mab), and Billie.

Alas, my relatives who may have been able to give you more information have now passed on...............

Edited by Cyclecar

The 1911 Census shows that Joe was age 48. Oddly, it spells his surname as Enoch, whereas I have it as Enock...
Hi Cyclecar - this seems to have been a mis-reading by the person who transcribed the census page, as Joseph's signature, and the names of his family (wife Katherine and three daughters at home) are clearly spelled Enock. If you don't have access to the image of the census page, PM me an email address for a JPEG.

Cyclecar - I've emailed you a JPEG scan of the 1911 census page.

The deaths index shows that Joseph Enock died in Sheffield in Apr-Jun 1953, aged 90. He was born in Jan-Mar 1863 at Aston, Birmingham and married Katherine Lyons in Sheffield in Jan-Mar 1885.

My father (William Arthur Bell) was a Civil Engineer and had an office on Tadcaster Road. I know that he did a lot of work for Joe Enoch. Joe owned quite a lot of houses in Woodseats and my father used to collect all the rents and do all the repairs to the properties. He also had some connection with the Brickworks.

Joseph, his wife Catherine and a Doris Enock are buried in Abbey Lane Cem sect K grave 9007

Tadcaster Crescent was originally going to be called Joseph Enock Way. It's built on the site of the old brickworks. He obviously didn't like having to travel too far to get to work as his house was just around the corner :)