Washing your car.

I guess for most people it depends on what you drive. Had a Manta Berlinetta many moons ago and it was cleaned and polished once a week even under the bonnet was smart. The thing I have now is practical and gets wet when it rains. The motorbike is spotless however :hihi:

saying it isnt necessary to wash your car is like saying i dont need to clean my house as it will just get dirty again

Or indeed your clothes, or yourself. It's all part of how you project your personal appearance. In the military they would say it was part of your self respect.

Or indeed your clothes, or yourself. It's all part of how you project your personal appearance. In the military they would say it was part of your self respect.

Are you saying that personal hygiene and the cleanliness of a car are connected in some way?

saying it isnt necessary to wash your car is like saying i dont need to clean my house as it will just get dirty again

There's a difference though. Cleaning your house, yourself and your clothes maintains hygeine and prevents illness/disease.

What does it matter if the outside of my car is mucky? I prioritise other things on which to spend my time.

My next door but one neighbour often washes his car, no problem, but the water has to run past five houses before it reaches the drain in the road. One of the neighbours today has complained to him that his car has to run over the water and could he come and tidy it up. You just cant make this kind of thing up

people really need to spend less time complaining about pathetic things like this and get on with life. there are much, MUCH more important things.

this sort of thing would only annoy one with no life.

Are you saying that personal hygiene and the cleanliness of a car are connected in some way?

Well they're all points on the same spectrum aren't they? Your personal appearance, your house, your garden, your car, perhaps your workspace; they're all parts of your immediate environment you 'control'. So at some point on that spectrum you take a decision to stop or no longer care as much about some aspect of your personal domain. The 'drive' (:D) to keep your car clean comes from the same root as keeping the rest clean.

I'm guessing you personally don't think cleaning your car is part of the process? If that's the case it's probably because you don't see the car as a projection of the self in the same manner as maybe your house or your clothes? However, other people do, and may well judge you on that in the same way as if you neglected yourself personally. I know some people assume I am untidy because my desk at work can be a tip. However, it doesn't give a true reflection of the state of me, my house or indeed my car :)

But the issue raised was that saying there's no point in cleaning your car because it will only get dirty again is no more valid than it would be for anything else in your personal domain. EVERYTHING you control will get dirty again.

There's a difference though. Cleaning your house, yourself and your clothes maintains hygeine and prevents illness/disease.

What does it matter if the outside of my car is mucky? I prioritise other things on which to spend my time.

Do you keep your garden tidy and maintained? Clean your house windows outside? Do these prevent disease or illness? :)

BTW I am not saying your priorities are wrong, just that you have made a personal decision where to stop with them.

Well they're all points on the same spectrum aren't they? Your personal appearance, your house, your garden, your car, perhaps your workspace; they're all parts of your immediate environment you 'control'. So at some point on that spectrum you take a decision to stop or no longer care as much about some aspect of your personal domain. The 'drive' (:D) to keep your car clean comes from the same root as keeping the rest clean.

It isn't a question of not caring; not for me anyway, i just don't regard it as an importance unlike i do with hygiene for example.

I'm guessing you personally don't think cleaning your car is part of the process? (oh lucky guess :D) If that's the case it's probably because you don't see the car as a projection of the self in the same manner as maybe your house or your clothes? However, other people do, and may well judge you on that in the same way as if you neglected yourself personally. I know some people assume I am untidy because my desk at work can be a tip. However, it doesn't give a true reflection of the state of me, my house or indeed my car :)

But the untidiness of your desk may well give the impression to others that your life in general is a mess if they have no knowledge of how meticulous you are in other areas

But the issue raised was that saying there's no point in cleaning your car because it will only get dirty again is no more valid than it would be for anything else in your personal domain. EVERYTHING you control will get dirty again.

I agree that the statement is touching on the ridiculous. I don't wash the car regularly because it is just a car and my delight for want of a better word comes from the bike.

When we go on trips with my car club, there are those who take collapable buckets away too, and clean their cars thoroughly every day!

I reckon if the windscreen's clean, that's good enough for me.

How do bath towels get dirty, if you're clean after a bath or shower? :)

I guess for most people it depends on what you drive. Had a Manta Berlinetta many moons ago and it was cleaned and polished once a week even under the bonnet was smart. The thing I have now is practical and gets wet when it rains. The motorbike is spotless however :hihi:

Same as me.Car is 4 years old and yet to be washed.Bike washed and polished every weekend.

My next door but one neighbour often washes his car, no problem, but the water has to run past five houses before it reaches the drain in the road. One of the neighbours today has complained to him that his car has to run over the water and could he come and tidy it up. You just cant make this kind of thing up

That's funny, although I did take exception to this idiot near me who washed his car in the middle of freezing winter, resulting in an unnecessary ice-slick across the road! What a numpty!