Tax evaders cost country more than benefits

So what is your definition of avoidance then?

You have the rule book somewhere in front of you don't you? If it's not in there, it's allowed... whether or not it's "in the spirit of the Law".

I didn't imagine that I'd ever have to teach a taxman what is and isn't allowed.

You have the rule book somewhere in front of you don't you? If it's not in there, it's allowed... whether or not it's "in the spirit of the Law".

I didn't imagine that I'd ever have to teach a taxman what is and isn't allowed.

That is nothing to do with the thread which is Tax evaders cost country more than benefits. the top earners in this country avoid/evade (depending on which bulletin you read) paying tax on their earnings, the amount of unpaid tax is more than the UK benefit budget.

2000 more staff are to be set on to plug the loophole and catch any who are commiting offences.

Agreement has already been agreed with several off shore (including Switzerland) tax havens to disclose account details.

It's about time and good news so stop being nerds and anoraks and just rejoice.

I'd refer you to the guidance and technical signposts, but you should be old enough to be able to access our website yourself.

I certainly am, and I appreciate that you are doing your bit to maintain the rather flaky party line, but if it's not in the book it's legal avoidance not illegal evasion.

Unless specific legislation is introduced it's up to HMRC (and a court) to prove otherwise, not the tax avoider. This "in the spirit of the Law" business is complete nonsense. It's just a smokescreen to scare people and make HMRC feel better about being a bit completely and totally useless.

Maybe if we had a smaller tax book like other nations there would be less avoidance AND evasion. We would also need less taxmen, wouldn't we? ;)

I haven't caused any confusion it is the nerds who try to look clever, the point of the topic is that a goverment minister announced measures to stop the top earners from being able through loopholes etc to avoid/evade (both words were used in the same context) paying tax to HMRC.

At the end of the day the end desire is the same. Avoid and Evade regarding taxes are words used by both government and media maybe you should write to them.

I would have thought that people would be happy at the news rather than carping about pedantics, Avoid and evade are basicly the same according to the dictinary. .

Did you decide not to read the link I provided for you?

Am I a tax evader or just thrifty if I go on holiday to Jersey and while there, buy lots of really expensive things without paying VAT? True for the States too. HMG are simply falling into the trap of ever rising taxes and expecting everyone to pay. With a small amount of tax, most people are happy to contribute to the economy. Put this tax up to extortionate levels and squander the money raised on stupid wars, bank bailouts and overseas aid to pirates and the public may have a totally different reaction, similar to high earners!

Did you decide not to read the link I provided for you?

Maybe he has a problem with reading? Certainly has a problem with spelling.

I avoid paying tax. Why would anyone want to pay more than they are required?:huh:

Am I a tax evader or just thrifty if I go on holiday to Jersey and while there, buy lots of really expensive things without paying VAT? True for the States too. HMG are simply falling into the trap of ever rising taxes and expecting everyone to pay. With a small amount of tax, most people are happy to contribute to the economy. Put this tax up to extortionate levels and squander the money raised on stupid wars, bank bailouts and overseas aid to pirates and the public may have a totally different reaction, similar to high earners!

The latter.

"In general terms, tax avoidance can be said to be activity that a person or business may undertake to reduce their tax in a way that runs counter to the spirit and purpose of the law."

You mean by taking out as ISA?

Taking out an ISA is not contrary to the spirit or the purpose of the law that established ISA's. Therefore it isn't an example of avoidance.

Here is a list of factors that HMRC consider could indicate avoidance.

Enjoy.

Odd then that ISAs are advertised as a way of avoiding tax. Perhaps the Government needs to educate its tax inspectors into understanding their own systems.

Odd then that ISAs are advertised as a way of avoiding tax. Perhaps the Government needs to educate its tax inspectors into understanding their own systems.

The purpose ISAs is to encourage an economically beneficial activity - to encourage individuals to build up savings. The sweetener is favourable tax treatment for a limited sum of cash for each individual each year. ISAs were never intended to be marketed or advertised solely as a way for individuals to reduce their tax bill. ISAs are there to encourage an increase in overall levels of savings within the economy.