The Rex Cinema Mansfield Road

Saw Bambi, Rescuers, Jaws and I think Star Wars 1 (IV), used to love The Rex as a kid.

I can remember seeing The Robe and a Woody Woodpecker film not sure which was the first though.

I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark and Dirty Harry and James Bond there. When did it close?

..i think it was demolished in 1982

i think the first film i saw at the rex was grease

My first film at the Rex was Curse of the Werewolf with Oliver Reed in 1961.

The Rex Cinema opened 24th July 1939, first film shown was Men with wings.

It closed December 1982, the last films shown were Gregory's Girl and Chariots of Fire.

We used to see a lot of "double bills" there. They used to pair up a lot of films that had just come off general release, sort of like DVD now. Great VFM.

Off the top of my head we went to see How To Steal A Diamond with Robert Redford shortly after release in 1972, and The Rex paired it with Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid from 1969 as a "trailer". Excellent. I also remember seeing Return to the Planet Of The Apes in 1975 shortly after release, paired up with the 1968 original as a taster.

i remeber the rex very well i used to live just above it it was was a right grotty flea pitbut never the les not to bad it was owed by two sisters who lived across the road fom it and from what i could gather they did all the tcleaning and sold tickets i first saw star wars there i remember the sound being terific

We used to walk over from Hopefield Avenue to watch double bills of the Children Film Foundation films on Sat mornings - either with my brother or a mate. We'd watch cheaply made British rubbish about adventures at sea, or robots, un-exploded bombs left over from the war and there was one that I'm sure had the Double Deckers in it (did they do a film ?). we'd eat sweets and drink Ki-Ora and we loved it.