The Rex Cinema Mansfield Road

Does anyone remember the rex cinema on mansfield road what was the first film you saw there

Does anyone remember the rex cinema on mansfield road what was the first film you saw there

What I remember most about it was the tiny concourse with windows looking out over Mansfield Road, was it a bow? As for my first film, I haven't got a clue.

1st film i saw allthough i was under age was a clockwork orange, the only other time i went was to see saturday night fever and the car park was choka block full and had to wait ages to get out after the film had finnished

The Rex along with the Manor and Carlton cinema's were our THREE local cinemas in the 50's.

I cannot remember the first films i saw at the Rex but remember that The Three Stooges were big favourites .

Other films i saw there include , Shane staring Alan Ladd. High Noon with Gary Cooper, and The Robe staring Jean Simmons [in love with her] and Victor Mature. This last film made me very religious for about a week.

The Carlton Cinema on Eastern Ave Arbourthorne was known as Little Chicago as all they seemed to show was gangster films staring such as George Raft , Edward G Robinson, Spencer Tracy,etc.

The Manor cinema at The Manor Top was a different kettle of fish to the others as it was in a prominent position and used to get the big releases before the other two. The manor also had the Saturday rush on Sat mornings were kids could get in for a couple of pence to see Hopalong Cassidy and the Lone Ranger etc both cowboys . These films were always in two parts and used to end with the immortal words come back next week to see how Hoppy escapes or some similar sudden ending ,this meant that no matter what you had to keep on the right side of your mam so as she would let you go the next week.

Edited by cuttsie

A kid called Nicholas Bailey used to work in the car-park in the 1980s when the Rex was Britains sole suburban cinema;Jarvis Cocker used to sell ice-creams and pop-corn in the intermissions accompanied by the two girls from Human League toting Ki-Ora and Woodbines.

First film I saw at the Rex was ' Girl on a Motorcycle ' starring Marriane Faithful.

Saw many films at The Rex, but no idea what was the first.

I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark and Dirty Harry and James Bond there. When did it close?

First film at the Rex? Probably Love story. Or a clockwork Orange. Was 15 and probably under age :hihi:

I think the first film I saw at the Rex was Petes Dragon, which came out in late 1977.

I would have been 9 y.o. There were a load of us kids from our estate went to see it, all trooping down Mansfield Road with our mums!

mine was either bambi or petes dragon whichever came out first of the two lol