Traffic Problems in Sheffield on Monday 21 November

2 hours it took to get from sheffield uni to castle college, ended up picking my daughter up an hour after the nursery had closed and nearly 2 hours after i was supposed to.

Well, time for my war story...

Got 25A bus on High Street at 18:20, and 18:55 got to Town Hall, passed Moorfoot 19:00 and got to Bradway 19:25.

65 minutes to do High Street to Bradway, 40 minutes of which was in the City Centre.

High Street and Pinstone Street was just solid, Charter Row had a traffic jam but there is a bus lane so zipped down there, once we had cleared the ring road the roads were clear!!!

Bus took an hour an a half from high street to woodseats:(

Originally posted by Greybeard

You could have gone to Netto at Lane Top and saved yourself some hassle :hihi:

And waste £10 worth of Sainsbury's vouchers????:o

Because Norwood Road is quicker and they want you to use that. Barnsley Road into Herries Road is also quite a sharp turn. A bus or lorry would have trouble there if they were to turn left.

But if coming down Barnsley Rd from Pitsmoor for the first time you wouldn't know this until you got to the junction anyway. There is no indication that you should turn left on Norwood Rd for the bottom end of Herries Rd is there. A stranger using an A-Z would just take the OBVIOUS route which avoids having to turn right across busy traffic - which is to turn left further down the road.

As far as buses and trucks turning tightly left, they could just position the lights further back to allow a 'swing' area. All they have succeeded in doing is directing traffic up to Longley Park College and detouring left into a HOUSING ESTATE to get back onto Herries Rd to get to the north end of it.

Whoever thought that one up is a complete numpty and probably the same clown who decided that putting pedestrian crossings at roundabout exits was a good idea.

30 minutes to get off the NCP. 1 Hour and 30 minutes to then travel 8 miles. 1 Hour 10 of that sat in the heavy traffic in town. Total journey time = 2 Hours. A 2 hour journey that normally takes me 25 minutes give or take.

Some heads gotta roll for this!

Does anyone know for definate what actually caused this? I can't see a broken down car causing this much traffic chaos...

I think my sob story wins - I left home at 3.25 and live near the B&Q Warehouse on Queens Road. I was going to Asda Handsworth, but as a planning geek, I wanted to drive past the new VI and Metier apartments being built next to West Bar Police Station.

By 3:30, I was on Rockingham Street, having just crossed West Street.

Thats where the mayhem began. From there, it took me an HOUR to get to Broad Lane, and from there to the roundabout by West Bar police station, a further TWO HOURS AND FIVE MINUTES!!! most of which was spent sitting outside the BMW garage.

Having passed the BMW garage eventually, I was sat on Tenter Street for ages too. A First bus clipped a Focus C-max on the opposite site of the road as it bounced past, occasionally mounting the kerb. It did stop though, and I gave the Focus driver my name and number so I could be a witness, along with another lady who did the same.

Having eventually made it to the West Bar roundabout just by the police station, I was distraught to learn that Corporation Street was free-flowing almost. The SELFISH BARSTEWARDS travelling from West Bar onto Gibraltar Street were blocking the yellow box on the roundabout.

From there to Asda, it took 10 minutes. Traffic was rush-hour-ish, but it was flowing.

This is an absolute disgrace and I am fuming. A couple of minor incidents coupled with dozens upon dozens of law-breaking, selfish drivers, have combined to bring the centre of Sheffield to a standstill.

I've even made a wee map to show my journey. Between the two red dots, my journey time was THREE HOURS AND FIVE MINUTES!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/dinp83/sheffmayhem.jpgCLICK HERE

I appreciate that the roads here are dreadful, but as motorists, we have a responsibility to ensure we use this limited commodity properly. To all those selfish people blocking the yellow box at West Bar roundabout - I hope your car doesn't start tomorrow.

:rant: :rant: :rant:

I've even made a wee map to show my hourney. Between the two red dots,

Your gonna get some stick for that spelling mistake.

Well I did wonder what had happened on Ecclesall Road when I went out about 4pm; so I'm delighted to say that I walked from a to b (about 2 miles one way) and back again. I saved £2.80 return bus fare and all the aggravation of being stuck in a bus that didnt go anywhere very fast.

In that time I went to the Uni, did some urgent work, then went to another Department and did some shopping both on the out and return journies.

Good old legpower. :clap: :clap: :clap:

:D :D :D

Originally posted by Kristian

Does anyone know for definate what actually caused this? I can't see a broken down car causing this much traffic chaos...

Radio Sheffield kept saying it was a bus that broke down on Corporation Street...

...that would naff things up, what with it the roadworks on that particular stretch anyway.

Just wot I 'eard :suspect:

Originally posted by wendygs

Good old legpower. :clap: :clap: :clap:

:D :D :D

You lucky devil, all I've got is a car. God, I wish I'd got legs like yours!:wink:

RANT!!

I too walked home, Collegiate Crescent to Meersbrook, after witnessing the huge queues at bus stops and thinking, something's amiss . . . . in the time it took me to walk back (40-odd minutes) not one bus passed me by.

I often do this walk anyway, as buses at that time are a nightmare, it saves money and there's no direct route. What makes me angry is that this week, as I'm working for five days instead of my usual two, I got a bus pass that, at £15, I can ill afford.

So I'd already paid. And i STILL had to walk! On the very first weekday that the bus fare rises applied!

I don't think this is a co-incidence . . . any more info on whether this was co-ordinated as a protest? And what can I do to register my outrage with First Mainline?

Hope you're warm and cosy now if you had to struggle tonight

JfG x