Traffic Problems in Sheffield on Monday 21 November

Our economy will never be "boyant" while the prescent administrstion have got a hole in there a**e.

Andy - I didn't read the Star that you've seen, but I do wonder how Streetforce or anyone else is going to be able to recover a broken down vehicle in a grid locked city centre - by the time everyone knows about it, the jams are there stopping them getting through........and as for the Police deploying staff to direct traffic - that doesn't fit their priorities at all, so they would be unlikely to do that. That is if there were any available, there aren't enough as it is to deal with everything that is more important now.

Originally posted by barnie41

Andy - I didn't read the Star that you've seen, but I do wonder how Streetforce or anyone else is going to be able to recover a broken down vehicle in a grid locked city centre - by the time everyone knows about it, the jams are there stopping them getting through........and as for the Police deploying staff to direct traffic - that doesn't fit their priorities at all, so they would be unlikely to do that. That is if there were any available, there aren't enough as it is to deal with everything that is more important now.

This is all true whay you say, but the council have to spout some bureaucratic spiel at times like this - we had just better remember it when it happens again and again and again....

Originally posted by vmax

the traffic problems in sheffield are a joke for a city the size of sheffield in the 21st century,this is because the loony left council is bus mad, even though they are unreliable .expensive and do not go where you need to go at the times you want, its about time money was spent on decent public roads

Traffic problems in Sheffield are about the same for any 21st century city - I've been stuck getting out of Leeds for 2 hours or so a couple of times - and as for Cardiff.............

Anybody fancy widening Ecclesall / London / Glossop Road etc etc - assume you'll be happy explaining to people who will lose their shops / houses.

Originally posted by Longcol

Anybody fancy widening Ecclesall / London / Glossop Road etc etc - assume you'll be happy explaining to people who will lose their shops / houses.

Since when did pleasing people matter :hihi:

I'm a planning student by the way....

that bus was there at 1520, it was still there at gone 6. It took me about 20 mins to get from west bar to the bus at 1500 (hence I know it was there), so a tow truck could have recovered it at that time and the jams would have gone by the rush hour.

and as for the Police deploying staff to direct traffic - that doesn't fit their priorities at all, so they would be unlikely to do that. That is if there were any available, there aren't enough as it is to deal with everything that is more important now.

The council are working with the police to see if there is a way that council staff can be trained and authorised to direct traffic. Now that we no longer have traffic wardens, only Police Officers and Police Community Support Officers are currently authorised to direct traffic.

If the council could gain authorisation for their own staff to direct traffic (even if it was acting with the authority of the police) then some of the parking attendents and other staff could be diverted onto point duty at the busiest time. Maybe the police PCSOs would assist too.

This thread is going on and on, and its depressing me!

Sheffield Traffic sucks!

Matt

Just think, if it snows hard and (when) the city grinds to a holt (again), how much longer the thread will get!