Living With HIV

It is a pity that you didn't report it, these people could do it again. Obviously your reasons are appreciated.

I wonder how many men are raped, and how many go on to report it. It must be an horrific experience whether you become infected with a STD or not. Not being a man I can't appreciate how anyone would feel but I bet a lot of shame is involved and this may cause them not to report it.

But as has been said before this was a very brave and moving post, I for one am not ashamed to admit I wiped tears away after reading it.

Thank you for opening my eyes to HIV. I have to admit that i know very little about HIV and AIDS. I just assumed that once it was contracted a person was then on borrowed time. As you have pointed out, that is not the case at all.

That used to be the case in the 90s when AZT was about the only drug available, but now, there are much more sophisticated treatments tailored to each individual, and they are much more effective.

This is a terrible story, and, although, I in no way want to diminish its impact, I do wonder why someone would want to share it on the Sheffield Forum when there are far better places to tell this story. I'd like to hear the OP's reasons :)

Looking at the OP it was posted at 3.09 am, which is a very lonely time of the day for anyone. Maybe they felt like talking and as no one was around at the time the next best thing was maybe to put it all down in writing. It can be very helpful sometimes..

The funny thing is, there are just loads of awesome people on this forum just willing to give someone loads of support.

Today's a good day!

hi, a friend of mine met an african man 20+ years ago, her first sexual partner. it didnt last, but then met her husband with who she has been with for 15 years.

10 years ago she kept getting colds etc and was anaemic all the time so her husband happen to mention HIV.

she got tested and was the unlucky one who never slept around with multiple partners and was told she had caught it from her first sexual partner as her present husband was clear.

she is alive and well on medication and since telling me i have not treated her any different and neither has my children as they know she has HIV, i know some people who treat people like my friend as a leper,if not worse , but if my children who are teenagers can understand the discease why cant adults,

you can live a long and prosperous life with HIV !!!!!!!!

what an awful event to happen to someone...

I wish you all the best & lots of happiness..

i was assaulted on 28th november 2008 which is when i got infected,i had to wait 12 weeks as this is how long it can take to show up. I then got my results on the 5th of march 2009,,

When i posted this i wanted to get people aware of HIV and try give more understanding about it if that makes sense.

yes the assault did take place in sheffield

When i posted this i wanted to get people aware of HIV and try give more understanding about it if that makes sense.

yes the assault did take place in sheffield

Could you elaborate on that. ?

Was it late at night. ?

Where had you been. ?

Did you strike up a conversation with theses people in a club or pub etc, and thought it was safe to walk home with them. ?

I'm just interested in the circumstances of what happened.

Sorry if this is prying too much.

What a terrible thing to happen. I'm glad you have the strength and support you need now. Thank goodness, life with HIV is a lot different to what it used to be. Maybe that should read, thank scientists. Someone told me they'd heard Sheffield University had had a signifcant breakthrough in the fight against HIV the other day.

These thugs could still be infecting others. Please, try and find the courage to talk to the police, if you possibly can. It's not too late.

Could you elaborate on that. ?

Was it late at night. ?

Where had you been. ?

Did you strike up a conversation with theses people in a club or pub etc, and thought it was safe to walk home with them. ?

I'm just interested in the circumstances of what happened.

Sorry if this is prying too much.

Insensitive maybe. Are you suggesting he may have been asking for it?