Calling all Rat fans!!

I am currently seeking advice from you guys who own a love our rodent friends! Some years ago i had a female rat,adored her!

Am getting the urge to own more but are male rats more tame than female as am thinking of getting 2 young gentlemen?

Advice is very welcome!

Avid Rat fan x

Hi there,

I just joined the forum. Like you, I kept female rats (I had 3 of them) a few years ago but I was too upset when they passed on so I didn't get any more. Recently I have gotten back into keeping rats. I currently have 4 rat boys. I enjoyed both the male and female rats, for different reasons;

Males tend to be less excitable as they get older... they're more likely to be cuddling up to you or dozing on your lap... females are more likely to stay hyper and adventurous their whole lives... but it also depends on the personality of the rat and how you train them. My males all have hugely different personalities.

Also, I'm glad you have decided to get 2 because it's generally not a good idea to keep a rat on their own - in the wild they live in colonies and get lonely without the company of their own species. There are some good rat forums you could join which give information about this sort of thing as well. Hope I've helped. :)

I have had three "incarnations" of rats.

My last lot were four girls, which arrived pretty much as rescues from various places. I loved them to bits but I was very unfortunate in that three of them were struck down with mammory tumours :( They were all operated on once but in two of them they came back - it was really traumatising having the make the decision of when to end suffering...

Anyhow I have made the decision that if/when I end up with some ratties again, they will definitely be boys as I don't want to go through that again.

I also agree with HatGirl about boys mellowing with age and generally being calmer.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Thanks to you for your advice, i am now certain its to be 2 boys! My rat i had years ago had cancer too and even after her op it too came back and likeyou left me upset, so thanks again for advice! jules

I may have a rat or two ;)

I love my boys for cuddles, but i have to admit, i love watching the girls go about their business. I couldn't imagine life with only one or the other, i know if i were ever to go back to being 'just' a pet owner, but i would totally have a mixed group of neutered boys and does. :love:

Feel free to get in touch if you want to know anything :)