Sheffield Indian Restaurants / Curry Houses

All the best Indian restaurants are run by Bangladeshis.

They were the first wave of immigrants to open up curry restaurants and the ones we base our English love of curry on. Out with this "contemporary Indian" nonsense and rubbish restaurants opened by English born of Pakistani parents!

Nothing beats a good Bangladeshi curry house :thumbsup:

Indeed, but there is a new wave of immigrants from the sub-continent and they bring with them subtle variations of what we call curry. It's impossible to compare south-Indian with Bangladeshi curries as they're totally different but I've never had a curry in Sheffield as tasty as East West cafe.

If you've never had a masala dosa and like curry you really don't know what you're missing. Curried veg rather than veg in a curry sauce. Mmmmmmm.....

we must have been on a bad night bas we have been before years ago and it was ok,
you may well have been i think your the only person i know or have spoke to thats had a bad experience unfortunatly for you

Indeed, but there is a new wave of immigrants from the sub-continent and they bring with them subtle variations of what we call curry. It's impossible to compare south-Indian with Bangladeshi curries as they're totally different but I've never had a curry in Sheffield as tasty as East West cafe.

If you've never had a masala dosa and like curry you really don't know what you're missing. Curried veg rather than veg in a curry sauce. Mmmmmmm.....

Very true, the south indian and sri lankan dishes are totally different to the bangladeshi style.

But the bangladeshi style beats the pakistani curries hands down everytime. I cant find a pakistani that could dispute that either :D

Having said that , pakistanis are masters of the chicken tikka and the good old kebabish mixed grill.

I keep meaning to try the East West Cafe. I've had South Indian food out in India and always thought it a pity we don't see it here much.

I keep meaning to try the East West Cafe. I've had South Indian food out in India and always thought it a pity we don't see it here much.

Try it , i think youll like it.

Although there is not much chicken in the chicken curry, having said that it is a couple of pieces on the bone. If you like your chicken on the bone its ok.

The curry is VERY spicy even for an asian ;)

We tried East & West when it first opened and didnt really know what to order as it was out first time eating South Indian Food.

We did ask the advice of the guy who answered the phone but I am not sure he really understood what I was asking.

We ended up choosing some Dosas but it felt like we didnt really get a complete meal.

Think they have added more choices to the menu now so even more at sea.

I really enjoyed the food though and want to give them another try.

What would you recommend ordering to get a complete meal with plenty of variety?

Enough for two people (plus leftovers...)

Vegetarian preferred.

We tried East & West when it first opened and didnt really know what to order as it was out first time eating South Indian Food.

We did ask the advice of the guy who answered the phone but I am not sure he really understood what I was asking.

We ended up choosing some Dosas but it felt like we didnt really get a complete meal.

Think they have added more choices to the menu now so even more at sea.

I really enjoyed the food though and want to give them another try.

What would you recommend ordering to get a complete meal with plenty of variety?

Enough for two people (plus leftovers...)

Vegetarian preferred.

Cauliflower 65 is my favourite!

Cauliflower 65 is my favourite!

Hi Pete

Whats a Cauliflower 65?

Last week we had the Keralan (King?) Fish curry, aubergine curry, channa masala, one rice and raita - vadai and poppadom for starters. Yum.

I'd avoid the fish fry - bloody gorgeous but poor value.

I'm not sure how they would do a take out dosa considering the size of the pancake?

If eating in get a dosa down ya washed down with a mango lassi.

Last week we had the Keralan (King?) Fish curry, aubergine curry, channa masala, one rice and raita - vadai and poppadom for starters. Yum.

I'd avoid the fish fry - bloody gorgeous but poor value.

I'm not sure how they would do a take out dosa considering the size of the pancake?

If eating in get a dosa down ya washed down with a mango lassi.

Dosas don't travel well - they can get a bit soggy. Definitely worth getting if eating in though.

Cauliflower 65 is the veggie version of

!

I have been in East and West a few times - twice with asian friends and twice in purely caucasian company. The food was definitely spicier when I went with asians. I guess they must tone it down a little sometimes!

Dosas don't travel well - they can get a bit soggy. Definitely worth getting if eating in though.

Cauliflower 65 is the veggie version of

!

I have been in East and West a few times - twice with asian friends and twice in purely caucasian company. The food was definitely spicier when I went with asians. I guess they must tone it down a little sometimes!

Being asian myself, I always get asked if i want it "asian style" .

The restaurants quite wrongly assume that white folks cant handle too much spice :hihi:

I know white guys that can out eat me in the spice department!!!

Being asian myself, I always get asked if i want it "asian style" .

The restaurants quite wrongly assume that white folks cant handle too much spice :hihi:

I know white guys that can out eat me in the spice department!!!

That policy pish poor. A lot of English people like super spicy food so it's wrong to make assumptions and tone it down for them. In India I found the food generally* less spicy than in an English Curry House, although this was 20 years ago before English curry houses became more bland.

*I used the word 'generally'. Thee were some dishes in India that were spicy like you wouldn't believe :shocked: