Franco's Italian Crookes

Going here in a couple of weeks for someone's birthday!

Just wondered if anyone had been and if so would they recommend?

From the outside I have to say I am unimpressed, so hoping the food will change my mind!

Thanks

well they must be doing summat right cos its been there donkeys years!

I believe its a 'proper' Italian- where the quality of the food is more important that the setting you eat the meal in!

I knew Franco used German mercenaries but I didn't know he used Italian crooks. :D

Been going here for years. Food is first class brought out of a very tiny kitchen.

Take your own wine of course - makes it a bargain.

Its an amazing 'little' restaurant! My family go all the time, their calzone is the best you will EVER have! The steak is to die for! The most tender fillet ive ever had! Nip across to bargain booze and get some wine or beer as they dont have a license. We also take our own soft drinks. Its such a cosy little place. Enjoy!

Hi Amzy - I'd certainly be interested in your thoughts. Only been once and I'm afraid it was awful. There are plenty of good reviews on SF so maybe it was just an off night - but it was bad......but cheap ;-) Please post your thoughts after your visit as we should maybe give it another chance.... Cheers!

Hi Amzy - I'd certainly be interested in your thoughts. Only been once and I'm afraid it was awful. There are plenty of good reviews on SF so maybe it was just an off night - but it was bad......but cheap ;-) Please post your thoughts after your visit as we should maybe give it another chance.... Cheers!

May I ask what was bad? Like i said we go all the time and although the palce itself isnt a shiney new thing with modern decor and the person who serves you isnt george clooney the food itself is scrummy and its a nice cosy feeling :/

Rang the other night to book, the phone says number unobtainable.

It looks like the end of an era, Franco's which has dished out "Italian" grub for at least two generations seems to have closed its doors. Does anyone have any idea why?

We are regulars (every 3 weeks or so) but haven't been for about a month due to illness.

Tried calling the other day, and it just rang and rang.

Walked past Saturday night and it was in darkness, hope Nigel and the staff are alright.

We had a visit from Nigel and Marco a couple of weeks ago, they called round to tell us the news!

The lease of the unit was up for renewal but the landlord has plans to redevelop the whole building which would have made it difficult for them to carry on trading.

Sadly it is the end of an era.

We have been eating there for more years than we care to remember, even from before Pepe ran a restaurant there and must have been eating with Carlo and family for over 20 years, we even eat there on our wedding night almost 36 years ago. We will miss the place, the family and the customers. It was one of those places were you would always find someone you knew and Nigel, Marco and Carlo would always treat you like part of the family.

Sad to see it go and thanks for all the food and chat.