You need permission for that CCTV.

Ive just been told by someone at Sheffield Homes that it is illegal to have a CCTV camera that points at anything other than just your property such as a main road or someones lawn or ANYTHING that does not belong to you.

Even if you are pointing it at your car in front of your house you still cant have one as it will catch other carsand people walking and driving past.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Is she wrong or is there something in the law that states this?

if its accidental, then you would be ok

What if its facing no windows just the road outside the house with most of the lawn and part of next doors lawn and a public path?

Yes she is wrong as anyone can have one, although you do need permission to mount it on the property.

There was a similar thread recently about this so have a search for it.

if its accidental, then you would be ok

Sorry, if whats accidental?

you need a license to have a CCTV which views public areas, and have lots of warning signs. This is well known and has been debated at great length on this forum before.

There are loads of cases thrown out of court where CCTV evidence is inadmissable because the owner has not installed the system and taken the correct measures to make their equipment within the law.

I dont know about this one, but the case of the woman putting the cat in the weelie bin was clearly seen on cctv, on the street and you could see the road and the front of there neighbours house??? I am living in a council house and I have cctv on the front it covers my drive, slighty covers my neighbours drive and the top of the road, and when my neighbours car got damaged the police asked if I had caught anything on my camera, they didnt think it was a problem. Does having cctv the same as videoing in public? because the police make these programmes with a camera crew following them and they always say to anyone objecting to being filmed that they are allowed to.

You can take photos in a public place ……… don’t let anyone else tell you differently.

Quote from a security forum:

"A Public Space Surveillance (CCTV) licence is required when manned guarding activities are carried out through the use of closed circuit television equipment to:

Monitor the activities of a member of the public in a public or private place; or

Identify a particular person.

This includes the use of CCTV in these cases to record images that are viewed on non-CCTV equipment, but excludes the use of CCTV solely to identify a trespasser or protect property.

A Public Space Surveillance (CCTV) licence is required only if your services are supplied for the purposes of or in connection with any contract to a consumer."

So for private use its exempt from the law.