Old Elmtree shops, Manor Top

Smashing post Mumsy.

Sounds as though your Manor Top was 70,s or 80,s time?

Sorry to hear about Trudy Sargeant her Mam and Dad were pals of mine in the sixty,s.

Still are I suppose.

Hiya,

Yes spot on Cuttsie, it was the 70's and early 80's.

Good times despite the reputation it had

I can remember the library and going in 'the welfare' with my mum too!

Our doctor was Dr Valerio on Prince of Wales Rd near the Fairleigh with its musty waiting room and assortment of chairs

mumsy xx

Old Elmtree shops, Manor Top.

I recall when I was a van lad working for Wigfall’s in 1971 – 72, going into a café at Manor Top. My driver and me went there quite often for a dripping cake and a cuppa. I don’t know if it was called Baines at the time, but I do know it had a bagatelle bar billiards table (forerunner to pinball machines). I think it also had a jukebox.

Also remembered was my underage visit to the Manor Pictures to wetch Jane Fonda in Barbarella, and I became very fonderer! Ugh.

Can anyone remember what they called the man and woman that ran the matinee at Manor Pictures in the 60's. They were referred to as Aunty.......? and Uncle.........? but I can't remember their names. Also can any one remember the old man on Queen Mary Road that pushed a big wheel with seats on it and gave kids rides? my brothers Barrie and Dennis used to help him.