Old Elmtree shops, Manor Top

Used to use Barnards before school (Prince Edward) and the bakers just below there after school, before catching the bus home from the stop outside Barnards.

Hi terry simon - here is a scan from the 1968 Kelly's Directory showing the City Road / Ridgeway Road shops. Some of the shops are the same as you remember them, others had changed hands but continued in the same trade, e.g. Henry Brookes' drapers had become Mrs Howarth's and Gertrude Reaney's hardware had become Tagg's.

I remember Baines cafe it was next to the service road at the side of the Welfare.

I remember a shoe shop where the pet shop is now opposite the elm tree.Think it was called bradys also across the road up the ramp at the side of the pub was an ashe and nephew offie and right at the top before fred hartleys was a clothes shop that had rows and rows of clothes so tightly packed in on the racks that you couldent seperate the items to see them! plus an asian lady who owned/worked there used to follow folk round watching your every move incase you pinched owt. happy days though..:)

Old Elmtree shops, Manor Top.

I recall when I was a van lad working for Wigfall’s in 1971 – 72, going into a café at Manor Top. My driver and me went there quite often for a dripping cake and a cuppa. I don’t know if it was called Baines at the time, but I do know it had a bagatelle bar billiards table (forerunner to pinball machines). I think it also had a jukebox.

Also remembered was my underage visit to the Manor Pictures to wetch Jane Fonda in Barbarella, and I became very fonderer! Ugh.

Hi terry simon - here is a scan from the 1968 Kelly's Directory showing the City Road / Ridgeway Road shops. Some of the shops are the same as you remember them, others had changed hands but continued in the same trade, e.g. Henry Brookes' drapers had become Mrs Howarth's and Gertrude Reaney's hardware had become Tagg's.

Brought back a lot of memories, the little cafe set back behind the row of shops, Shentalls who sold cold meats and cheese, the fruit shop, Hibberts sweety shop. Beryls, just down City Road did lovely baby clothes, and knitting wool. Elm Tree Bakery, used to do a pennyworth of sherbert or crystals and a licorish stick, the butchers just down from there I remember well. There were some back to back houses just below there, I had a friend who lived there. Barnards was where I got all my sweets from and I had my hair done in their hairdressers.

Old Elmtree shops, Manor Top.

I recall when I was a van lad working for Wigfall’s in 1971 – 72, going into a café at Manor Top. My driver and me went there quite often for a dripping cake and a cuppa. I don’t know if it was called Baines at the time, but I do know it had a bagatelle bar billiards table (forerunner to pinball machines). I think it also had a jukebox.

Also remembered was my underage visit to the Manor Pictures to wetch Jane Fonda in Barbarella, and I became very fonderer! Ugh.

There was some lovely tarts to be had in that cafe some of them had to be seen to believed with great big crusts which even now make my mouth water thinking about them.

Was there a fishing tackle / pet / hardware shop, behind the bus stop opposite the elm tree pub in the sixties early seventies . sure i can remember buying packet hooks and floats ect.

Was there a fishing tackle / pet / hardware shop, behind the bus stop opposite the elm tree pub in the sixties early seventies . sure i can remember buying packet hooks and floats ect.

Yes thats right you could get parafin by the gallon and loose nails by the pound.

There was also a bike shop at the bottom end it could have been one of Ted James early shops but not sure if so.

Yes thats right you could get parafin by the gallon and loose nails by the pound.

There was also a bike shop at the bottom end it could have been one of Ted James early shops but not sure if so.

I think it was Langsett Cycles.

It was great to read all your memories.. I was born on Wulfric in 1928 and attended Prince Edwards in 1938-1942. My main memories are of Manor cinema with change of programmes twice a week and Rex cinema. Also going into Barnards cycle shop for spares. Also playing on the pit heap where Mansfield road fire station is now. I still go walk-a bouts there. Regards to everyone. Jogi.

I remember Barhards sweet shop-loved going after easter for all the cheap easter eggs! The shop was split into 2 parts/shops as I remember with the 1st part as a sweet shop and the 2nd part was where you could buy any assortment of biscuits-we used to buy the broken ones as could never afford the fancy ones.

I remember the chip shop opposite that opened on a Monday called Kerrys (?) when Becketts were shut-the chips weren't half as nice as Becketts and they didnt give you scraps!

I remember the shoe shop at the end of the line of shops where Barhards was.

The Fine Fare was the supermarket where we did our weekly shop and at the side of it was Fred Hartleys-(think this was like an early version of Home bargains but had lots of car stuff in it for sale!!) we always went in at christmas and came out with strangely wrapped boxes (our presents!!) I remember the Co-op too-I used to get sent there on a Monday from Prince Edward school to buy the cooking ingredients for the week for home economics and having to hand over the stamps! At Barnhards-you could cash in your cigarette tokens (Embassy I think or was it the Green shied stamps?) and we came home with kitchen stools, towels etc. My mum still has a hinged stool going strong to this day.

After the co-op there was Hibberts-another sweet shop which was a childs delight!

fashion focus where all my clothes came from for Whitsuntide-always had new clothes at whit! The 'Challange' was the other main supermarket at manor top and I remember wishing to one day get locked in! (just wanted to eat sweets all night!) I think the bank was always there as was the newsagents by the 95 bus stop. I remember a few hairdressers and Sargeants-fruit and veg shop (and pet shop for chew sticks for our dog) I was at school with Trudy Sargeant (dgt of owners) who sadly passed away in her teens.

Becketts-I can smell the chips now and the other shoe shop-want to say Aloe Vera's but was the doc martin shop!

And who could forget 'penny for the guy' outside the club-made a fortune on a Sunday afternoon, we could just never make up our minds whether to 'guy it' at the club or manor hotel!!

Happy days xx

Edited by mumsy
spelling

I remember Barhards sweet shop-loved going after easter for all the cheap easter eggs! The shop was split into 2 parts/shops as I remember with the 1st part as a sweet shop and the 2nd part was where you could buy any assortment of biscuits-we used to buy the broken ones as could never afford the fancy ones.

I remember the chip shop opposite that opened on a Monday called Kerrys (?) when Becketts were shut-the chips weren't half as nice as Becketts and they didnt give you scraps!

I remember the shoe shop at the end of the line of shops where Barhards was.

The Fine Fare was the supermarket where we did our weekly shop and at the side of it was Fred Hartleys-(think this was like an early version of Home bargains but had lots of car stuff in it for sale!!) we always went in at christmas and came out with strangely wrapped boxes (our presents!!) I remember the Co-op too-I used to get sent there on a Monday from Prince Edward school to buy the cooking ingredients for the week for home economics and having to hand over the stamps! At Barnhards-you could cash in your cigarette tokens (Embassy I think or was it the Green shied stamps?) and we came home with kitchen stools, towels etc. My mum still has a hinged stool going strong to this day.

After the co-op there was Hibberts-another sweet shop which was a childs delight!

fashion focus where all my clothes came from for Whitsuntide-always had new clothes at whit! The 'Challange' was the other main supermarket at manor top and I remember wishing to one day get locked in! (just wanted to eat sweets all night!) I think the bank was always there as was the newsagents by the 95 bus stop. I remember a few hairdressers and Sargeants-fruit and veg shop (and pet shop for chew sticks for our dog) I was at school with Trudy Sargeant (dgt of owners) who sadly passed away in her teens.

Becketts-I can smell the chips now and the other shoe shop-want to say Aloe Vera's but was the doc martin shop!

And who could forget 'penny for the guy' outside the club-made a fortune on a Sunday afternoon, we could just never make up our minds whether to 'guy it' at the club or manor hotel!!

Happy days xx

Smashing post Mumsy.

Sounds as though your Manor Top was 70,s or 80,s time?

Sorry to hear about Trudy Sargeant her Mam and Dad were pals of mine in the sixty,s.

Still are I suppose.