Old Elmtree shops, Manor Top

Can anyone remember the old shopss on the manortop and what a good selection there was.I can recall Barnards sweet and toy shops with an hairdressers above and next to that was goodinsons fruitshop georgie goodinson was in my class in the juniors at prince edwards school .Across the road was the chippy and next to that was the elmtree bakery.I can remember going in there for a pennyworth of icecream soda and a penny ice lolly which we use to dip into it.Also we got penny hovis loaves.Across the roundabout i can remember Hibberts sweet shop where we got chocksticks from i think the chemist was next to that where it is now.There was the jennel then next to that manor pictures .After the pictures came beryls drapery shop.There was a few more leading down to eastern avenue but my memory after fifty odd years somehow is letting me down

Can anyone remember the old shopss on the manortop and what a good selection there was.I can recall Barnards sweet and toy shops with an hairdressers above and next to that was goodinsons fruitshop georgie goodinson was in my class in the juniors at prince edwards school .Across the road was the chippy and next to that was the elmtree bakery.I can remember going in there for a pennyworth of icecream soda and a penny ice lolly which we use to dip into it.Also we got penny hovis loaves.Across the roundabout i can remember Hibberts sweet shop where we got chocksticks from i think the chemist was next to that where it is now.There was the jennel then next to that manor pictures .After the pictures came beryls drapery shop.There was a few more leading down to eastern avenue but my memory after fifty odd years somehow is letting me down
oh for a choc stic yes remember all them don t forget becketts fish and chips and i think an hardware shop what memories j

My old mate Rod Amies's dad Harold owned the news agents at the top of City Road.

Becketts chips and fishcakes with scraps at 18p. Happy days!

I used to go to school with Steve Oldfield whos Mum & Dad had the grocer shop next door to Goodisons, Steve & I used to chat quite a lot with Sheila Goodison, she was the same age as us around 16 or 17, then sadly she commited suicide because of an A*****E she was going with, such a lovely girl and such a waste.

I must reply as I lived at Manor Fruit Stores till 1949,behind Hibberts sweet shop was Maytime ice cream factory where I used to ride in the van delivering to nearly all the cinemas in Sheffield. the ice lollies you could get was called Joysticks and was a triangle shape.You was right about the other shops there was the Bottomlies who owned the drapers shop I was Friends with Brian and Geoffery,the bank the paper shop Freemans/Amies next door was Taylors hairdressers Fruit Stores then Renies the hardware store,Parkers the grocers,Hedges,Broadhursts,Wainwrights sweet shop and last of all was Brookes tha drapers,below at the back of Wainwrights was barbers.

At the other side of the Manor Cinema was the chemist,Hibberts/Abbots,Dutfields fruit shop,Co-op,Maypole grocers and Shentals,I hope this shed some light on the shops.

Hi terry simon - here is a scan from the 1968 Kelly's Directory showing the City Road / Ridgeway Road shops. Some of the shops are the same as you remember them, others had changed hands but continued in the same trade, e.g. Henry Brookes' drapers had become Mrs Howarth's and Gertrude Reaney's hardware had become Tagg's.

hi hillsbro your memory is better than mine thanks for the scan i remember the butchers .When i was about 14 our class was due to have a science lesson mr bedall our science teacher wanted a couple of bulls eyes to cut up .Me and a couple of other schoolpals volenteered to fetch some from that particular butcher.He gave them to us in a brown paper bag.Our curiosity getting the better of us we decided to go and sit in the shelter at top of manor and look at them.On looking in the bag we all gave a scream and non of us wanted to carry them back to school we made the decision to throw them under the bench in the shelter and tell our teacher the butcher hadnt got any.Thus making sure we werent going to handle them again.I shudder to think what happened when an unsuspecting person

went to clean out the shelter and found the bag of bulls eyes ah happy days

Hi hillsboro thank you that information about the shops at Elm Tree as I live in Tenerife now and come back to Sheffield about three times a year I just cannot believe it how it changes so quick.I drove bus s for 29 years all told and now find it difficult to find my way around with all the new ring roads

All the Best to You.

I can remember there being a TSB penny bank in the block near the pictures I used to have to go there to draw my money out of my school bank book.

Hi hillsboro thank you that information about the shops at Elm Tree as I live in Tenerife now and come back to Sheffield about three times a year I just cannot believe it how it changes so quick.I drove bus s for 29 years all told and now find it difficult to find my way around with all the new ring roads

All the Best to You.

Not surprised you find it difficult to find your way round the city now so do I and I have lived here all my life. I know exactly where I want to be but end up going round in circles trying to get there :hihi: