Using 2 screens

Are the VGA and DVI ports both built onto the motherboard? I've never actually tried to do it that way, but it's possible your output is limited to one or the other rather than using them separately.

I must admit (although I have not done it myself) I always understood that you need 2 graphic cards to use 2 monitors

I must admit (although I have not done it myself) I always understood that you need 2 graphic cards to use 2 monitors

nah, that used to be the case, but all modern graphics cards (in the last 8 years or so to be honest) with multiple connectors allow more than one monitor...

You may struggle if one port is on-board (On the motherboard, in the bank of connectors) and one is on a card as the on-board could be using the AGP or PCI bus, then the card you add will be using that bus instead.

If both ports are on the card you need to go to your display properties, click on the blue screen with a number 2 in it and click "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor".

That should be it. if you're not seeing 2 displays under display properties you have a problem with drivers or the ports as above.

both of the ports are on the mother board, i know the motherboard has an intergrated graphics card on it. the computer was new in november so all the bit are/were "up to date"

Both on the board might be an either/or setup then.

What does it show in display properties?

thankyou for all your suggestions but i still cant get it to work, i know the screen works because i swapped the screens over

How did you get on with my method. At what point did it fail?

both of the ports are on the motherboard

What's the make and model of the motherboard?

I suspect you cannot drive two monitors from integrated graphics on the motherboard

it will be either DVI or VGA but not both

nah, that used to be the case, but all modern graphics cards (in the last 8 years or so to be honest) with multiple connectors allow more than one monitor...

Cheers for that as I said never done it myself (never needed to) and I always thought you needed 2 cards even though they had 2 outputs as some had already said using 1 output cuts the other out?