Anyone on here go to city school on stradbroke road

we also used to go to hayfield in that old brown sherpa van lol ive heard hayfield is derelict now used to have resident ghost annie

I was there from '66 until '70, when the long commute from Wisewood affected my health, and I transferred to Wisewood Comprehensive. I remember most of the teachers, Miss Davy, who seemed to be 100, and taught Latin, Mr Parsons, who seemed a similar age, can't remember what he taught, Miss Johnson (aka Amy) Art, Mr Fox, the French teacher, Mr Hibberd, Chemistry, Miss Scott, Physics, Miss Whitham, (later Mrs Ward) History, Mr Walker also History, Rev Hugman, RE, Mr Clark, Music, Mrs Rigman, Needlework, Miss Fisher, Geography, Mr Riches, can't remember subject, Mr Mac as previously mentioned, Mrs Ashmore, English, and of course Mr Harvatt, Headmaster, and Miss Cole, deputy and girl's Headmistress. Miss Osborne, P.E. How could I forget her?

I know there were many more, Mr Brown who has already been mentioned, and some who would not have taught me as it was before the equality days when boys could choose cookery, and girls woodwork!

Ironically, the 13/14 bus route was changed a few years ago to go from Wisewood to Woodhouse, and would have been door to door, making the journey much easier! Only 40 years too late! ( Although it changed again and now is only Loxley/ City)

Wow, brings back some memories, not all good ones I`m afraid. Mr Hibbert was our form master in the 2nd year and taught geography. We used to take the mickey out of his accent, Mr Clarke lived around the corner from me and used to give me a lift to school sometimes, Miss Osborne used to inspect our underwear before PE to make sure it was "adequate":loopy: and Miss Davy, I hated Latin, only did 1 year of it, couldn`t see the point of learning a language that no-one spoke any more. Miss Johnson, she was a stickler for school uniform and used to check that we were wearing school knickers!!!!! Hmmmmm...........

I was there from '66 until '70, when the long commute from Wisewood affected my health, and I transferred to Wisewood Comprehensive. I remember most of the teachers, Miss Davy, who seemed to be 100, and taught Latin, Mr Parsons, who seemed a similar age, can't remember what he taught, Miss Johnson (aka Amy) Art, Mr Fox, the French teacher, Mr Hibberd, Chemistry, Miss Scott, Physics, Miss Whitham, (later Mrs Ward) History, Mr Walker also History, Rev Hugman, RE, Mr Clark, Music, Mrs Rigman, Needlework, Miss Fisher, Geography, Mr Riches, can't remember subject, Mr Mac as previously mentioned, Mrs Ashmore, English, and of course Mr Harvatt, Headmaster, and Miss Cole, deputy and girl's Headmistress. Miss Osborne, P.E. How could I forget her?

I know there were many more, Mr Brown who has already been mentioned, and some who would not have taught me as it was before the equality days when boys could choose cookery, and girls woodwork!

Ironically, the 13/14 bus route was changed a few years ago to go from Wisewood to Woodhouse, and would have been door to door, making the journey much easier! Only 40 years too late! ( Although it changed again and now is only Loxley/ City)

Although I left City Grammar around 1962, when it was still on Leopold Street, I see that most of the same teachers were still there at Stradbroke in later years.

We had Mr. McPherson as our form teacher one year. We girls thought he was very goodlooking and were shocked when he married Miss Thorold. She had grey hair so she looked older but probably wasn't.

Mr. Fuller was the french teacher then and had an artificial leg. It sounded like metal when he bumped it against the desks in the front row.

I also remember Mr. Parsons who took us for Latin. He alway had frayed shirtsleeves and missing buttons and we felt sorry for him as it was rumoured that his wife was disabled. Nowadays we would expect him to sew on his own buttons of course. He told us about ancient Rome and the ruins of Pompei. He said there was a mosiac in one of the doorways of a dog and the words "Cave Canum" or beware of the dog. About 40 years later, when I visited Pompei, I remembered that and asked the guide to show me it - which he did.

Your post brought back lots of memories.

Yeah i went, left in 1989, Mr Gabani was head, my form tutor was Mr Lightowler he was a music teacher, Mr Fletcher was there and Mr Sanderson was deputy head, i took my son last week to look round he starts secondary school next year, it still hasnt changed ! ! !

anyone on here go to city school on stradbroke road share your memories of teachers and pupils past and present

Who was your English teacher?

Mr Swift was our English teacher, Mrs Walker - Maths Mr Walker/Mr Malison - Science Mr Marks CDT along with 'Bob' Mr Lovell - History. Miss walking to school with Phil Tunnard, he always used to steer us left while walking down field!

Mr Swift was our English teacher, Mrs Walker - Maths Mr Walker/Mr Malison - Science Mr Marks CDT along with 'Bob' Mr Lovell - History. Miss walking to school with Phil Tunnard, he always used to steer us left while walking down field!

hated him Lovell. Now Mr Tingle he was character

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

How could I forget Tingle - I saw him a few years ago doing 'kids' parties! Once I heard that booming voice I knew it was him instantly :)

Yep I did 1970 to 75

Any one else there at that time?

I was there 88 - 92.Mr Gabbani was headteacher, Mr Mallinson (Science), Mr Lovell, Mr white, and Mrs Jackson think she taught English and Maths teacher Mr Jarvis.

I remember going to Hayfield with Mr Fletcher and also activities week too.

Anyone remember Mr Harrison? He used to teach science and run the school choir.

He also used to drive a lovely Riley RMA