Origin Broadband

The time has already come.. you can buy a MPF line directly from Origin, which is basically a wire only with not POTS analogue.. over which they provide their VDSL service (and with it the VoIP). Saves a few quid on paying BT any line rental.

Interesting.

Thanks to everyone for their recent contributions on this issue. You've given me lots of ideas (including the UPS). I'm going to keep an error log of when the phone does not work so the (extremely helpful) guys at Origin can look at what was happening on the server when our errors occurred.

The info from Walker & Swampster has been especially interesting and I will go back to Origin to get their thoughts on the suggestions. Him indoors and I want to stay with Origin because its SO much faster on the internet than Talktalk. If the phone could be as reliable as the internet we'd be laughing !

Hi I have been with them for 1 week and though the speeds are good the service is terrible it keeps dropping the internet connection and they have been trying to fix it all week but it just gets worse dropped me 5 times on Monday 8 Tuesday and 6 yesterday have been on the phone to them and emailing every day and get different stories off different people

The problem is if its the DSL itself dropping there is not much they can do until its escalated to BT to investigate a line problem.

Have you checked if there is any crackling on the telephone? With the high winds this week I would not be surprised to find some people with problems.

No it never drops the dsl it is just the internet it drops they have just rung me they were monitoring it overnight but it disconnected at 1.40 am

The Internet dropping is a symptom not a description of what is actually happening, that is why I asked about the DSL.

Generally when the Internet stops working you should notice one or both of the following:

1) The DSL LED (if the device you are using has one) is off or flashing.

2) The PPPoE connection has dropped.

The cause of the problem is vastly different depending on which of the above things is happening.

The dsl light is on and steady it just drops the internet and light goes off for the internet re boot the router and it comes back on and all works again for a while ZyXEL router it seems a lot of users are having problems with being dropped I used to get it with plusnet but not as bad as origin they have also agreed with me that the ping of 238 ms is way out but the down and up speeds are ok when it is working according to speednet however trying to stream anything on any of my 3 pc's is stop go stop

That does sound bad, ping should be anywhere between 5-60ms, much higher and it definitely shows a fault of some sort. You can see the average ping of several Origin customers here.

This is why I am not sold on the idea of having an all-in-one router and prefer how they originally did it, with a separate modem and router. That way if you are having problems at least you can use a PC directly or buy your own better router.

That said, I really don't think there is a single router on the market that works fine for everyone. Hopefully this is just a case of a faulty router/firmware though and will get fixed shortly.

You must have read my mind I mailed them this morning saying it would be better to have a cell pipe and a separate good quality router (netgear, diamond etc) and not the one they used to supply one guy said there would be a firmware update this week and the last guy said he had heard nothing about that

You must have read my mind I mailed them this morning saying it would be better to have a cell pipe and a separate good quality router (netgear, diamond etc) and not the one they used to supply one guy said there would be a firmware update this week and the last guy said he had heard nothing about that

I can confirm that there IS a new firmware update being tested for the Zyxel. While it has been given to us with the promise that it will improve stability - we haven't yet rolled it out to our customers.

I believe you originally spoke to a higher level tech who has been arranging the new firmware with Zyxel - and that's why the second person you spoke to wasn't aware. I'm really sorry about the confusion here. I've requested someone call you again with some more information on this :)