Good toys for a 4/5 year old boy

Hi,

I need some help from people who have boys around 4/5 years or older. I've just been through all the toys we have and most of them are really for a lot younger children. My son needs some new toys to play with which became most obvious when he had friends round and they were bored.

What toys can you recommend that are good for playing with with other children and that your boys really played with a lot and got use out of?

I have got him a bit of lego which he likes and I'm thinking of getting him some Ben 10 figures which he can play with with other people if we get a bit of a collection going.

Any other ideas welcome and please let me know if you have anything for sale that your kids have outgrown.

What about Mechano? You can make some right cool cars which actually work with some of the kits and what about good old fashioned games like Guess Who, Buckeroo and Operation?

Scalectrix? (sp?) and maybe an air hockey table, those tables which have football players on turny handles?

My little boy is 4 and really getting into Lego Minifugures! He also likes some board games, like Buckaroo, Elefun and Penguin chase. He still likes playing with his cars & garage too. Also he is really into puzzles at the minute.

Although he spends most of time playing on his DS now!!

I find most boys this age like anything to do with Ben10 or cars... board games?.

Good Luck!!

How about some games. My lad loves the elefun game, hungry hippos, and a alien game where to hit the aliens with a hammer to get them out.

My nephew really loves cars, so his Hot Wheels tracks and cars get used a very large proportion of the time and when those tracks aren't out then he's got his train set out.

He's also really good at rôle play, so anything that allows him to be a superhero works really well, and his best friend has a very similar nature and they can play for hours with nothing more than a Ben10 and a Buzz Light year, which they pitch against each other.

Even if you buy him the most creative and intelligent and perfect toy, he could be not interested. It's your son, not his friends, the one who will have to play with the toys. So, what does the little one like? Toy animals, cars and garages, trains and tracks, puzzles, puppets, snap-cards, musical instruments, art supplies, role-play (a pirate or doctor set, a tool-bench, a fort, a teepee)? Can't you simply take him to a shop and let him choose what he wants? Sometimes we make things harder than they really are...

My son will be 5 in December and he loves anything thats Imaginex, they do lots of different toys from dinosaurs to toy story and batman.(think they have just started to a ben10 range). Generally they are a bit more expensive than other toys but they are very well made (not cheap plastic) and all the figures fit with the other playsets. He also loves fireman sam, octanauts and his favourite of all Buzz Lightyear

Good luck

Jigsaws.

Best pre-reading activity you can do with him, and lots of fun!

Thanks for all the ideas. I've been doing a fair bit of ebaying!

What did you choose in the end. I have to say out of all the toys I have bought for my two their ultimate favourite thing to play with is the huge cardboard box that their trampoline came in :)