Sign in to follow this  

New Retail Quarter - council rushing it through without consultation

Originally posted by Tim42

Took a look at hammersons plan for the retail quater. How awfull, how depressing. Once again legoland uglyness, cheapo tackey, pretend its prestigious rubbish prevails.

How did you come to such conclusions from the vague, preliminary sketches on the website? :confused:

I looked at the plans and what I don't get is where the customers are coming from? There are 100 new stores planned and therefore god knows how many thousands of square feet of new retail space but the only new car park is just 2,200 cars (sounds a lot but compare that to Meadowhall!) and that replaces an old car park anyway! Perhaps it is envisaged that everyone will forego car usage and travel in by bus/tram/foot ......ha ha ha!

Originally posted by asbo

Perhaps it is envisaged that everyone will forego car usage and travel in by bus/tram/foot ......ha ha ha!

By 2012 you'll need to be a city councillor to be allowed to use your car inside of the ring road :P

I looked at the plans and what I don't get is where the customers are coming from? There are 100 new stores planned and therefore god knows how many thousands of square feet of new retail space but the only new car park is just 2,200 cars (sounds a lot but compare that to Meadowhall!) and that replaces an old car park anyway! Perhaps it is envisaged that everyone will forego car usage and travel in by bus/tram/foot ......ha ha ha!

Car park capacity does need to increase, however, there will be more city centre apartments by then - not all of those new residents will have a car and they will shop in the city centre.

Took a look at hammersons plan for the retail quater. How awfull, how depressing. Once again legoland uglyness, cheapo tackey, pretend its prestigious rubbish prevails. Sheffield city centre is adump. No question

Tim42......You never fail to amaze me with your comments,always doom and gloom.Can you tell me about the wonderful place's that you visit which make Sheffield look so ugly and unnatractive,I mean you must be worldly wise and be comparing Sheffield to somewhere else so come on tell us.

These are outline plans not detailed plans,the images that you see are just sketches,ideas...not the final thing so to make a rash judgement like you seem to have done is wrong.Sheffield desperately needs to get this plan off the ground and would be a marvellous assett to our city.We should be all be supporting such investment not knocking it at every step.

I've seen the plans and there's not a spark of imagination there - the city centre will just be a logical progression from a 60's Arndale centre. Look at some of the developments down south 5 years ago - in places like Bluewater - Sheffield does not appear even to aspire to some of the more innovative aspects of those (not that they were that great). What's planned for Sheffield is an insipid, uniformly drab concrete blur... not an original idea in sight... with all that money to spend you would have thought they could come up with something a bit bolder. As for new residents being the majority of shoppers, where are they now? There aren't enough shoppers to sustain the existing shops (any retailer will tell you sales are down the pan at the moment) - but by 2012 we'll have 100 extra shops but with only 1000+ new parking spaces.

D'oh! :(

I could not agree more Chav, reckon we have a white elephant in the making!

I've seen the plans and there's not a spark of imagination there - the city centre will just be a logical progression from a 60's Arndale centre. Look at some of the developments down south 5 years ago - in places like Bluewater - Sheffield does not appear even to aspire to some of the more innovative aspects of those (not that they were that great). What's planned for Sheffield is an insipid, uniformly drab concrete blur... not an original idea in sight... with all that money to spend you would have thought they could come up with something a bit bolder. As for new residents being the majority of shoppers, where are they now? There aren't enough shoppers to sustain the existing shops (any retailer will tell you sales are down the pan at the moment) - but by 2012 we'll have 100 extra shops but with only 1000+ new parking spaces.

D'oh! :(

I DON'T KNOW WHY I BOTHER......:loopy:

I don't know why you do either

I saw the draught plans for st pawfulls place. The real construction looks even worse than the touched up picture of the draught & the draught looked rubbish to start with. Yeah! Doom & gloom how can you not feel it? I thought we were going to be presented with some really inspiring developments. I thought Sheffield was getting there with the winter gardens. Then MacDonalds hotel, ugh, st pauls place, not my kind of place, the, retro super dull deppresihg ugly, st pauls tower.

Now the legoland piled up just for profit crappey boxes. Transforming an old dump into a new dump. well done. Result!

Originally posted by chav

I don't know why you do either

Come on then,tell us all what you would like to see in our city centre...:rolleyes:

I saw the draught plans for st pawfulls place. The real construction looks even worse than the touched up picture of the draught & the draught looked rubbish to start with. Yeah! Doom & gloom how can you not feel it? I thought we were going to be presented with some really inspiring developments. I thought Sheffield was getting there with the winter gardens. Then MacDonalds hotel, ugh, st pauls place, not my kind of place, the, retro super dull deppresihg ugly, st pauls tower.

Now the legoland piled up just for profit crappey boxes. Transforming an old dump into a new dump. well done. Result!

You still havent told us what you think is nice and attractive,what are you comparing Sheffield to ?

Sheffield is never going to be somewhere like York or Edinburgh,all UK cities have some really depressing modern architecture,the new builings going up in Leeds and Manchester aren't exactly.....beautiful