Asked by teacher to remove or tape kids earrings

I don't want them to have to be removed at all, this is the whole point.

They only have teeny tiny studs and I deem them to be a damn sight safer than the great bit flap of plaster which they're expected to use - absolute lunacy.

They only have teeny tiny studs and I deem them to be a damn sight safer than the great bit flap of plaster which they're expected to use - absolute lunacy.

But - as you acknowledge in your original post - accidents happen. Neither option is as safe as not having pierced ears, I suppose, so it's a little rich of you to start worrying about what is safest now.

The school - who are legally responsible for you child - say that they must be removed or covered. They are your two choices. Can't you just take them out until they're able to do it themselves, or even better, until they're able to make an informed decision about it, then you don't have to worry about it?

I think it is right they are asked to remove or cover them. I have played netball for 20+ years and have seen earrings (tiny studs) ripped out in the past, some tearing the ear lobe completely and requiring the lobe to be stitched back. I have also seen small eyebrow bars torn out at gigs and my friend ripped out a belly hoop on a trampoline even though she had been told by the teachers to remove or cover it. I can't see why anyone would be willing to take the risk when they can easily be covered

At the moment all the netball leagues I play in do not allow any earrings or long nails and all players are checked for both. I cover 2 earrings with plasters as they are in odd places to remove and take the rest of them out. Covering them with small plasters is no bother and small corn plasters work perfectly, and I'm glad they check nails as otherwise they leave you with good scars on the sensitive inside of your arms.

They can take the plasters off once PE is over and it's causes no harm so I don't understand your arguement.

EDIT: I also use white medical tape as that works well and you can cut it to the perfect size, covering both sides of the earring without it looping over the ear ;)

Edited by Evei
spelling!

At the moment all the netball leagues I play in do not allow any earrings or long nails and all players are checked for both. I cover 2 earrings with plasters as they are in odd places to remove and take the rest of them out. .

My imagination is working overtime. :blush:

Yep I do acknowlege accidents happen but since, as I also pointed out, I have never encountered a single incident in either all the years I wore earrings as a child, out of all the peole I've ever known or all the children I've ever worked with.

Therefore I think it's over kill because I very strongly feel that the chances of such an incident are very tiny.

What they do in PE is barely recognisable as different from the playground, so what's the difference there, where earrings are fine?

My imagination is working overtime. :blush:

:hihi: I did say they were earrings! :suspect:

Yep I do acknowlege accidents happen but since, as I also pointed out, I have never encountered a single incident in either all the years I wore earrings as a child, out of all the peole I've ever known or all the children I've ever worked with.

Therefore I think it's over kill because I very strongly feel that the chances of such an incident are very tiny.

What they do in PE is barely recognisable as different from the playground, so what's the difference there, where earrings are fine?

I would say the difference is that in the playground although being watched by the adult they are not being directed by them. In the p.e. lesson they are being directed by the teacher therefore the teacher needs to make an informed decision on how best to keep the children safe whilst under their care. I work with children and yes i have come across children injured by even small studs being caught on skipping robes, climbing robes, when doing forward rolls etc on shorts/leggings. Although yes i agree the rule is rather pedantic in the inconsisitancy between policies, i feel you are failing to accept the evidence that many have presented to you that yes, there is an increased chance of injury during p.e. and it is a schools responsibility to minimalise all risk to keep the child free from harm.

Failing to accept? Well yes, because my own experience tells me that statistically it's extremely unlikely and being overly touchy to make a rule about something so infrequent.

I think that kids are probably more likely to do risky things when playing in a playground than in a gym class.

The thread mostly ran it's course last night and nothing new is really being added at this stage so it feels a bit odd to be coming back to it for repetition. That's not a direct hit at you, just pointing out that I'm repeating myself.

I think it is fair enough to tape over the earrings for PE. I'm not sure why you would object to this as it's only for the odd lesson. Whether or not you think it's an overreaction, it's not much hassle. I wouldn't say accidents are common but I can remember someone's earlobe being ripped off in school. These accidents are preventable, so I think the school's actions are sensible.

I think the school is pretty lenient allowing kids that age to wear earrings at all. British schools are really very tolerant compared to many countries - I could name several countries where right up to age 16, pupils are not allowed to dye their hair, wear make up or sport any earrings.

Frecking nora. 2 mins to take out a pair of earrings, hours and hours to discuss the semantics of it.

Do the math!

I can remember having to tape mine up at school and I'm in my mid twenties. Its the rules for a reason, regardless of how Inconvenient it is for you.

Had to come back to this thread as Im failing to see what your argument for not covering them is?

You can cover them with tiny corn plasters as mentioned by another poster and even cut them in half before if they are too big.

It seems to me like you just want to argue for the sake of it.

I could understand and accept your point about not taking them out but I fail to see why covering them is an issue?