Would you hire a wedding dress?

Any thoughts on hiring a dress for the big day? Or any tips if you have done this?

I'm not doing so, but I don't see why not really. A lot of people want to keep their dress, which I understand, but if you don't, you will only manage to sell it at probably 10% of the price you paid once its been worn (look at wedding dress prices on eBay, most sell for under £50, even brand new ones!). Why not save a huge amount on shop prices and hire one?

Or buy a cheap one online, which may turn out even cheaper than hire prices...

Edited by Leah-Lacie

I was going to, but our wedding was abroad and on a hot beach, so I didn't want to dirty the dress or be worried about taking something that wasn't mine so far away from its owner. Also lightweight wedding dresses are few and far between that are designed for hot weather.

I think it's a great idea, although when I did look into it, the prices seemed quite high.

so long as you want something fashionable and not off the wall then who is going to know it's hired and not owned?

I couldn't hire, as nobody else wants a leather wedding dress ;)

Hiring is something I'm considering. Hopefully I'm not going to be needing it again, so why not :D I'll see what I think when I've priced dresses up (and given my dad a coronary in the process-my parents are footing the bill for my outfit. I'm purposely going to send him links to something costing a couple of grand just for the fun of seeing his face :D )

St Lukes shops bought a load of brand new wedding dresses a couple of years back: might be worth a try

Hiring is something I'm considering. Hopefully I'm not going to be needing it again, so why not :D I'll see what I think when I've priced dresses up (and given my dad a coronary in the process-my parents are footing the bill for my outfit. I'm purposely going to send him links to something costing a couple of grand just for the fun of seeing his face :D )
OOOOOO!!!!! Congratulations! How did I miss that?!

OOOOOO!!!!! Congratulations! How did I miss that?!

:D Thank you! I am so excited it's untrue-I'm currently in that honeymoon stage of the engagement period where I keep half thinking I'm the only person in the whole entire world to know what it feels like to be planning their wedding :hihi:

I couldn't hire because there are very few women my height around so I couldn't even try sample dresses on in shops, so bespoke was really the only way to go for me, but if I was 'normal' height I'd have considered hiring a dress just like we hired the suits for the blokeys.

And congratulations LM :)

so long as you want something fashionable and not off the wall then who is going to know it's hired and not owned?

I couldn't hire, as nobody else wants a leather wedding dress ;)

Have you still got yours it was gorgeous.