My dog has a swollen lump in his paw

I've just noticed my dog is limping. Upon inspection he has a swollen, damp pink lump between two of his 'toes' on his front paw. It's not a blister, it's just a hard pink swollen lump that is quite large, pushing his toes apart a little.

He hasn't been licking it (that I've noticed) and doesn't seem to be in any particular discomfort with it, apart from the limping, although he is off his food and lethargic.

As it's Saturday evening, and it's clearly not an emergency, I'll be taking him to the vet as soon as I can get him on Monday.

In the meantime I've googled this but the advice goes from one end of the spectrum to the other.

He has never had any skin conditions in the past. It's not around a claw so it's not that. I can't see anything stuck in his foot, but with black fur it's kind of hard to tell.

I've covered it in Savlon cream and put a bandage round his foot. He let me and hasn't moved since. He hasn't even attempted to take it off.

Does anyone have any useful suggestions? Was the Savlon route a good idea?

The savlon wont do any harm, as long as he doesnt lick it, but he may have got a grass seed between his pads can you feel anything, they are a proper nuisance at this time of year, both my two have had them Barneys had one in his paw just the same, but we manged to get it out, but My gsds was in his side, and he ended up with the vet opening his side to cut it out, I would have a good look at it, if not take him to the vet on Monday

I couldn't see anything. Planning to bathe it thoroughly and soak it for 10 mins before bedtime.

I don't like to keep touching it. The dampness is a worry.

It may be a grass seed which will travel if not treated it may be some other object or a reaction to a sting.

It's even bigger today, clearly just one of his toes that's infected. The pink lump has spread around the toe and its showing on the top of his paw now too!

I've soaked it in dettol again today.

It sounds like an abscess, so yes, I think he really does need a vet and there will be little choice other than giving him something to numb the pain and get it cleared out and to see whether there's anything that could point a finger at the cause and then follow up with bathing and antibiotics.

Poor lad :(

It sounds like an abscess, so yes, I think he really does need a vet and there will be little choice other than giving him something to numb the pain and get it cleared out and to see whether there's anything that could point a finger at the cause and then follow up with bathing and antibiotics.

Poor lad :(

He's not in pain. He lets me touch it, press it and bathe it, without showing any sign of pain. He just limps on it a bit.

Are abscesses in dogs the same as humans? i.e. painful?

He's currently sporting a rather large, comical looking bandage around his whole foot to keep the savlon in place!

If he,s of food and "lethargic" and has spread would disagree vet asap.

You could paist magnesium sulphate wich will pull the infection and object out to the entry point would need to be bandaged as im unsure about if it was consumed.

Or loads of honey paisted on it and banaged until you can see a vet.Thats what they do with nasty wounds that cant be operated on imediatley it kills infections.

There's no wound and I've had a good look today, there's no evidence of any point of entry.

I don't appear to have any magnesium sulphate lying around the house???

There's no wound and I've had a good look today, there's no evidence of any point of entry.

I don't appear to have any magnesium sulphate lying around the house???

Make some lol

Epsom salts with a small amount of water and stir until it becomes a paste.If you no Epsom salts then your pooped.Did you check under paw as well for entry point i guess you did lol.Thing is may have been a entry point but healed over but caused infection inside there again could be abscess one of ferrets gets one or a cyst above his shoulder then bursts but always comes back in same place.I just fill it with honey to stop any infection when it pops lol.

Edited by terminator