How good do you rate your NAS product?

Synology NAS boxes are highly rated by most, quite a few of my colleagues have the DS211J and all rave about it.

I don't have a NAS at the moment, however if I was looking to buy one then I'd probably go for a Synology.

The cheapest one I saw was more expensive than the Iomega and doesn't even come with any drives.

The cheapest one I saw was more expensive than the Iomega and doesn't even come with any drives.

that might be the case but you pay for what you get....

that might be the case but you pay for what you get....

It IS the case and not always.

I didn't say it was cheap. In this case it is "You pay for what you get"

Its performance and features justify the higher price, you would probably need to see one in action to appreciate how much better they are - you aren't just paying for a "case" you're paying for decent hardware and powerful software.

You can pick 2TB drives up these days for around £45-£50 so it's not expensive to add them.

Anyway, it depends on what you are wanting from a NAS and also your budget.

I have a 1tb wd world book bit of a pain in the ass to set up but is really good comes with 3 years warranty and even has an iPhone app £55 new from pc world discount store in Chesterfield

I have a netgear ReadyNAS with 2 1Tb drives (in raid so 1Tb available)

I chuck all my important photos / home movies on it. Probably last turned it on about 6 months ago!

So if you are running a NAS system what is it and how good (or bad)

do you rate it?

Thanks

I've got a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 6.

I'd rate it as excellent, one of the best things I've ever bought.

You have to get a Qnap.

They are incredible.

That is what I have heard too, most other NAS boxes are drastically under powered.

To me a NAS that can't do at LEAST 60MB/s is a complete waste of money. Why stick a ton of hard drives in a dedicated box that can't come close to running them at full performance?

I've set two Qnaps up for a mate of mine.

One box can run :

Twonky Media Server

Sabnzbd

Transmission

Sickbeard (TV Show Downloader)

CouchPotato (Movie Downloader)

Rapidshare Downloader.

----

That only scratches the surface of the box's capabilities.

I have an old Qnap and for the first few years it was pretty much just a glorified external hard drive. However over the last few years I've really being expanding its uses.

I've now got it so it acts as a streamer for my music collection to my Logitech Squeezebox boom, movies to my 360 and to my ipad, as well as being a filestore. Like I say this is an old device but I'm very, very happy with it