What really irritates you about today's Sheffield

Also, the innovative way the town planners managed to hide the Winter Garden.

The greenhouse in the shade, called the 'winter gardens' because it never gets any light :hihi:

Yes it was foggy in the city in the 50s/60s but not all the time as the prevailing westerly wind blew the pollution away from the heavy industry on the east side.

But when the wind changed it was mucky then, I recall looking from the Manor Estate and seeing Wincobank Hill appear out of the gloom at the end of the work's fortnight holidays.

And who can forget those thick smogs, heavy sulphurous stuff with a yellow tinge and so thick you couldn't see the front of your car bonnet.

The amount of rubbish on the floor. Sheffield is now a real 'Dirty Old Town'!

Rod Stewart springs to mind!!!!!

The old Law courts/Town hall in the Haymarket. the Citadel. the old GPO building the car park where the old rag market was.....

There was no permanent fog over Sheffield in the sixties unless you mean the 1860's, the footpaths have not changed that much and there were no mobiles in the sixties. The trams acually ran more or less where they do now in the city centre. Where did you get your information?:love:

hiya, where do you get your information when on about the permanent fog and things not having changed much, sheffield was not always a smoke free zone and i remember it depended on which way the wind was blowing to get the steelworks smoke, and also to say the trams ran more or less the routs they do now where did the trams go in respect of the edges of town , eg meadowhead,crookes, walkley,handsworth, intake, and all the other routes.

a few years ago my aunt came over from america for the first time for 40 odd years, and as they lived on the manor estate before she went, she asked her sister to take her on a visit to her stomping ground in the early 40s, that was darnall when she saw it she had a tear in her eye, so different to what she remembered.

Edited by willybite

If you are irritated by todays Sheffield, think about the fifties and sixties, when there was a permanent fog over sheffield, trams, cars buses, ran on Fargate with quite narrow pavements.

At least now you can walk about the streets without looking for traffic as you will be walking looking down while your on your mobile.

Hi remember very well Fargate etc. all becoming vague now.when i left sheffield in 1968 it went as far as s14 where is s25 cheers Dave Barraclough

I was born in 1942 and my wife was born in 1945 and we both agree that there was no permanent fog in Sheffield. The pavements were quite adequate, especially Fargate. We think that the closure of Fargate and the Moor to traffic killed the heart out of Sheffield.

Planners what planners to put it bluntly they could not plan a p*** up at a brewery.

Everything has to go through park square they had to duel carrageways to get traffic away from the city and they make them one other cities have the same problems but have adopted better ways to deal with traffic, Leeds and Hull spring to mind.

Sure there was a fog in the 50s and 60s but it was not due to traffic it was due to factory smoke and coal fires in the home.

The amount of buses on the road timetables that clash with other operators, one bus breaks down and the city is at a standstill this is your planners.

Sheffield was promised it had got money to spend on roads and would have the best roads in the country, it was called pothole city now it is known as patchwork city.

We read daily of the quality of work that is being carried out ,to many chiefs and not enough indians.

Work that could be done is passed from department to department.

Then there is the excuses he /she are one holiday does the work stop because some is on holiday?

Now being a Pensioner I could fill a full page on this easy but here's just three..

1/People who say free for three.

2/Having to pay my road tax just after taking my car in for a broken spring.

3/ The nonchalant use in public of foul language...

Cant find my way round the city....It is 26years since I was there?????

Easier to walk or bus or tram...car was a nuisance especially when I was drunk...That happened often when meeting old friends.....Thats the best bit about Sheffild....old friends who still are your friends..

Cant find my way round the city....It is 26years since I was there?????

Easier to walk or bus or tram...car was a nuisance especially when I was drunk...That happened often when meeting old friends.....Thats the best bit about Sheffild....old friends who still are your friends..

Know what you mean. Visited last year. My son and family were staying somewhere on Snig Hill. Tried to find the place by car and finished up in Pitsmoor. My GPS (Satnav) was constantly trying to send me down "No Entry" streets.

Also found the street signing really poor. Lots of rusted-out street names that were really hard to decipher. :)

too many foreigners
i believe the aboriginees said the same over a 100 years ago now they are the foreigners

Everything, it's a complete mess, a shopping trip comprises of visits to John Lewis and M&S. Mark my words, there will be no Sevenstone or Market on The Moor, Debenhams will pull out of Sheffield City Centre and some of the none chain, smart new eating places will go bust. There isn't a decent pub left in the centre, and car parking is a joke.

Lock it up and throw the key away. :(