Photographer wanted. Build your portfolio

I have a good friend who is purely a hobbist when it comes to photography and the images she takes would put a lot of these so called pros to shame.

I will be the first to concede that some amateur photographers have a better eye than some professionals. But can your friend still produce the goods [every single time] when she has to shoot to a schedule not of her choosing, with no time to carefully set up shots, when conditions may be anything but optimal? Assuming a a decent level of photographic ability, it's relatively easy as an amateur to go out and get nice shots when you can choose where and when to shoot and more importantly when not to shoot.

I will be the first to concede that some amateur photographers have a better eye than some professionals. But can your friend still produce the goods [every single time] when she has to shoot to a schedule not of her choosing, with no time to carefully set up shots, when conditions may be anything but optimal? Assuming a a decent level of photographic ability, it's relatively easy as an amateur to go out and get nice shots when you can choose where and when to shoot and more importantly when not to shoot.

Can she produce the goods every single time, even when working to a schedule not of her choosing, even under anything but optimal conditions. Id say yeah, her images would be right on the money.

Maybe hobbist was the wrong term of words to describe her. She does shoot portraits, weddings ect ect but does it on a non professional level ( she doesn't do it as a paid living ) Is she taking work away from someone that is trying to earn a living as a photographer, i guess thats a whole different topic of discussion.

I think the original point i was making was that just cus someone gives themselves the title of professional photographer that shouldn't be used as a guide to think there images are going to be ' pro quality ' if you know what i mean.

Edited by speedbirdone

mainly its the clients i feel sorry for! it will only take one wedding/shoot when the equipment fails/breaks etc... these are probably the same people that dont have insurance to cover their rear ends when the clients take them to court.

A professional photographer not only has equipemnt suitable for the task but their is a lot more to being professional. a few things like;

knowing the limits of your equipement

able to react in a moments notice

able to predict moments and be ready.

knowing what makes a good attractive image.

knowing how to control and use available light

knows their suppliers

has a good accountant

has good insurance

knows when to say no when a request is out of their ability

always pushing themselves towards excellence

investing time in research

good communication skills

keeping everything legal

Changing with the times

a professional photographer is anyone that earns moeny from taking images. that maybe part time or full time. The only real difference there is how much of their income comes from photography. The more dependant on photgraphy to earn money the more important the things listed above become. now if all that can be learnt in an hour i will be impressed.

I dont care if another photographer charges £200 or £2K for a wedding, as long as the bride and groom know what to expect and happy with the level of work they will get then thats fine with me. They are both professional in my eyes the unprofessional ones are that charge £200 or £2K and fail to deliver on what was promised.

here is one of my fav vids to prove my point!

Youtube video - ok its in the states but clearly identifies the attitudes some so called pros have and also what some so called pros think they can get away with.

Edited by ndegwa

I can think of a lot more interesting things to shoot for free other than images for a Yoga practice. But thanks anyway, really selfless of you to offer the experience!

To the original poster. Have you got someone to cover your shoot yet. If not, after nearly two months, are you ready to pay the going rate.

Does anyone know of a good photographer who does model portfolios that wont charge the earth ? thank you

Does anyone know of a good photographer who does model portfolios that wont charge the earth ? thank you

What is your budget? As one can tailor a shoot to the budget, assuming it is a sensible amount.

Bear in mind if you want a full portfolio, you will want a decent range of shots which take more time that a quick hour in studio. Plus very importantly, you should also budget for a good makeup artist as well.

I can take some folio shots for you, and I don't charge the earth.

Call me.