Photographer wanted. Build your portfolio

Take wedding photography as an example, if you go and check out the website portfolios of say 10 or more random "blokes" offering their "professional" photography service packages, you will notice,

The costs are mostly outrageous for what they actually do on the day. They all arrange the couples into the same tired old poses, it's wedding photography by numbers. Go look at some random sites, mostly all the same shots. Once you know the standard wedding poses, anyone could do it. I fail to see the skill involved which must be the general perception due to the many similar requests as the OP. Don't hate on me for pointing it out.

Once you been to the national portrait gallery you see lots of similar looking setups - anyone could do that once you get a brush and some oils.

:loopy:

BTW - Last wedding I did was 4 days photography and 2 days travelling and probably another weeks work processing images. Not exactly traditional imagery either.

Just because there are some numpties with a DSLR who think they are photographers, doesn't mean there is not a lot of skill involved with those who actually have talent. If photography was actually so easy, Facebook, Instagram, Flickr etc wouldn't be so full of rubbish photos.

The photographer will most likely have an assistant with them to help out, then there is the equipment the photographer is useing which should be the top level stuff which can easily be costing well over £5k.
and then some. Computer gear alone costs way more than that.

You have to admit

Edited by FACEBOOK

Once you been to the national portrait gallery you see lots of similar looking setups - anyone could do that once you get a brush and some oils.

:loopy:

BTW - Last wedding I did was 4 days photography and 2 days travelling and probably another weeks work processing images. Not exactly traditional imagery either.

Just because there are some numpties with a DSLR who think they are photographers, doesn't mean there is not a lot of skill involved with those who actually have talent. If photography was actually so easy, Facebook, Instagram, Flickr etc wouldn't be so full of rubbish photos.

So, you want

Edited by FACEBOOK

So, you want a pat on the back because when you did your last wedding shoot, you didn't even work a full 5 day week on site and had to commute? boohoo
I can't work out if you are playing the troll or just incredibly stupid. Probably both as you cannot even add up single digits or see that a job lasting 13 days, plus another two days prep work is quite different from doing a few simple setups outside a church and snapping away.

You have to admit, it's a very easy 12 hour day. You're at a party where your customers are all in a great mood and happy to see you, it's hardly work.

Prep work with the bride and groom. Again, very easy and probably fun.

Maybe the file conversions, editing and computer work might take a little effort. No big deal though once you've done it a few times before and have the required systems in place.

You need some equipment that might cost 5k - 10k, thats very cheap for start up costs for any business considering each wedding can easily pull in £1000-£2500+. I'll bet all the equipment needed to shoot a wedding can be hired very reasonably anyway.

I wonder what fees if any the assistant is earning, probably a young intern working for free as he's been given the opportunity to "build up his portfolio" :D I know your tricks.

I believe you could take a complete newbie and after a few hours training with the equipment have him up to paid assignment standards in no time at all. Maybe there are some extremely "skilled" technical photographers out there, but if that's the case they are way overqualified for standard work because most of the suckers that pay large fees for wedding photos can't tell the difference anyway and would be happy regardless.

I'm not hating on photographers, I just find it funny how so many of them genuinely believe that they are all that, because in reality, they are two a penny so it might be an idea to drop the bad diva attitudes and be thankful that few clients question their high fees and easy life.

Anyway, I've bought my new camera and having removed the lens cap I'm now ready to take my photography business to the next level. which one of you is going to take me on as an assistant? Don't worry, I'll only need to help you once and I'll be ready to go it alone.

You really are clueless.

You stated you worked

Edited by FACEBOOK

You stated you worked 4 days on site, which is what I commented on. The other imagery work was probably done from home. It's an easy life. Your insults have hurt my feelings by the way, I hope you're proud of yourself.

Trolls don't have feelings.

If I attended

Edited by FACEBOOK

Facebook, you are really clueless, and reading all the comments on other threads you have posted, I can assure you, you are making quite a few enemies on here! Try and understand this forum is for people with genuine intrests in topics to post feedback. That does not mean come on here and start upsetting people. Obviously you trawl through this site looking for topics you know nothing about and post just for the sake of posting. I read in a previous comment you made you bought a DSLR. Put your money where your mouth is and show us an example of your effort on how easy it is the create great images!

If I attended a wedding shoot with any of you guys and took the same shots of the happy couple with similar equipment, once the albums were produced, the clients wouldn't be able to tell the difference. But, for the sake of argument, I'll put it another way, if only my photos were passed on to them, they'd be very happy and wouldn't question the standard in any way. Anyone can compete in this industry quite easily with a few hours of training and some equipment.

You seem to be missing an important fact. A photographer needs to have a flexible and strong index finger to continually gently press the shutter release button. This operation has to be carried out faultlessly thousands of times during a career.

Would an amateur be able to do this for years and risk a repetive strain injury which could prevent them from working ?

If I attended a wedding shoot with any of you guys and took the same shots of the happy couple with similar equipment, once the albums were produced, the clients wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
Except that they would - very easily.

Besides you wouldn't have the imagination to take the same shots as me anyway.

But, for the sake of argument, I'll put it another way, if only my photos were passed on to them, they'd be very happy and wouldn't question the standard in any way. Anyone can compete in this industry quite easily with a few hours of training and some equipment.
Just like you can go on stage after watching a musical and perform like the pros, just like after an hour's practice you can get a black belt in any martial art, just like one can play a classical guitar after a couple of hour's tuition - oh wait you cannot do those things either.

Not to mention unless you have the innate talent - which cannot be taught - you'll still not be any good even after a lot more practice than a few hours.

You remind me of the ignorant buffoon who commented on the golfer Lee Trevino [iIRC] potting a difficult shot by saying "Wow, that was a lucky shot". Trevino replied, "Yes, the more I practice, the luckier I get". Which was probably wasted on anyone dumb enough to make such a comment. Just any rational argument is wasted on you.