Photographer wanted. Build your portfolio

No, I'm not a photographer,

Edited by FACEBOOK

Why not contact colleges/university that have photography students and let them use this as an opportunity to develop their skills and styles.

Im a photographer a fairly versatile one at that also - Wouldnt mind doing this sounds like you have a good idea and from what i have read on here no one has actually replied that takes photos. for some of my work check out my website or my flickr

If you like my work then contact me on here or on my work email

No, I'm not a photographer, but if I were, I would spend time very day generating new leads online and building lists. Read my post again, I'm talking about initially giving away "some" value in order to build a relationship and gain an ongoing customer hopefully for many years. It's clear from your response and that of many photographers, you are quite a bitter bunch. With this kind of attitude how do you expect to build up relationships and give a good first impression to new potential customers.

My opinion is that photographers are creative types with little ability for marketing which is why so many of them have to rely on word of mouth which may pay the bills but is hardly living the dream, which is why they are bitter. When you consider how many lucrative areas of photography there are with weddings, portraits and events etc, a decent marketer would be able to generate leads all day long. So yes, you should be giving "something" away for free to attract new business.

you are completely missing the point.

I personally am very proficient in generating new leads, finding work and do not rely only on word of mouth, neither am I bitter. My clients always receive MORE than they pay for, however they are PAYING customers.

The simple fact of the matter is thus, the OP will be using the images on a web site to generate revenue for themselves. Revenue that the photographer will receive NO share of and very little chance of any further work. As already stated, any referrals that the OP could provide will want/expect the same treatment, it's simple human nature and by your reckoning the person referred should receive the same deal as we should be prepared to offer something for nothing in the hope of further work, before you know it you're working more and more for free.

have a little read of this http://tonysleep.co.uk/node/687

Well said by the photographer in the link

I recall been a photography student and people trying to freeload on me. As soon as I quoted prices to cover expenses the comment was, "I can get a film done at boots for £3.50"

If any photographer is looking for experience doing weddings etc, do it in your own friendship/family circles with people who help each other out anyway, and not let corperations take advangate.

No, I'm not a photographer, but if I were, I would spend time very day generating new leads online and building lists. Read my post again, I'm talking about initially giving away "some" value in order to build a relationship and gain an ongoing customer hopefully for many years. It's clear from your response and that of many photographers, you are quite a bitter bunch. With this kind of attitude how do you expect to build up relationships and give a good first impression to new potential customers.

My opinion is that photographers are creative types with little ability for marketing which is why so many of them have to rely on word of mouth which may pay the bills but is hardly living the dream, which is why they are bitter. When you consider how many lucrative areas of photography there are with weddings, portraits and events etc, a decent marketer would be able to generate leads all day long. So yes, you should be giving "something" away for free to attract new business.

You do some new business with freebies, only if it is likely to get you more work in future.

These sort of posts where people offer to give you a credit rather than payment, so they can make money off your work are not the place to do that. And the days of doing a bit of free work in exchange for contacts, exposure or a foot on the ladder in the world of photography are are all but over in the digital age of photography, as the photographers simply get replaced by the next eager photographer who will work for nothing in exchange for nothing.

I thought that link and article was pretty spot on myself. Very well said in fact.

It never ceases to amaze me how people automatically assume a "credit" on a small business website or meaningless publication etc will somehow magically be a life changing event for a photographer.

Not meaning to be putting the OP down but as you are starting a new business chances are quite high it will fail. Many small businesses do in the first few years. By the looks of it you are not going overboard on marketing due to budget which in my opinion will again make establishing the business more difficult... and let's not forget the economy at the moment... luxury, non essential service and all that. The whole point here is what exactly can the photographer hope to gain?... really... think about it.

If you offered x number of classes in payment at least that would have been exchange of services and reasonable.... but you didn't. What you basically said was..

"I'll give you a blank CD if you give me around 6-8 hours of your time."

Yeah "great opportunity"... for you. You are basically valuing someone else's time, experience and ability as ZERO. That is why people get offended.

What if everyone who turns up to your classes says "This is a great chance for you to practice, you can give us your time for free but we can't afford to pay you anything. We will however put a sticker with your name on it on the inside of our laundry cupboard at home though."

FACEBOOK... sorry but you really don't get it and jezzyjj put it very well in his response.

If you offered x number of classes in payment at least that would have been exchange of services and reasonable.... but you didn't. What you basically said was..

"I'll give you a blank CD if you give me around 6-8 hours of your time."

I think this is the key reason why photographers get so annoyed with these requests, no quid pro quo.

I always assumed the reason photographers got annoyed by threads such as this is that generally, the person asking gets one of the 'I bought a DSLR and my pictures look better than the ones my friends take on their phones and therefore I am a photography business' types to do their pictures for nothing, and generally they get something usable - thus denying the photographers money.

I always assumed the reason photographers got annoyed by threads such as this is that generally, the person asking gets one of the 'I bought a DSLR and my pictures look better than the ones my friends take on their phones and therefore I am a photography business' types to do their pictures for nothing, and generally they get something usable - thus denying the photographers money.

Not really. Someone who has just got a camera isn't really taking any business away from a full time professional... I mean look at this case. A CD for 6-8 hours work. What professional who work for free just for the hell of it? We all have bills to pay mouths to feed etc. You can't take paid work away that never existed in the first place.

Personally I think if anything the "I just bought an DSLR" aren't a bad thing as on the whole the work they produce is way off what professionals produce. It actually helps in differentiating yourself from the "I just bought a camera" crowd.

The biggest problem comes towards the bottom end of the market where there is little or no price differentiation between the "I just bought a DSLR" photographer and the "I'm a full time photographer" but with pricing which is too cheap. Those are the ones who struggle with it as they are charging prices which are not sufficient to sustain a business.

My issue with the OP is that they want something for nothing. Like has been pointed out you don't walk into a restaurant and ask for a free meal but then say you will tell people about it.

Dear oh dear oh dear,

This is a photography forum, NOT a photogrphers forum! Why are people so quick to instantly dismiss a person looking for help? I agree with nearly every point made on this thread. Firstly if you are a photographer, professional or otherwise, and do not want to help, why the hell reply?

Photography is not only a profession, but also a pastime that millions of people enjoy and spend a lot of time and effort trying to get good results, otherwise they probably woulnt do it.

Like it or loath it it, we as a nation send billions overseas every year to other countries, money me and you have earned, to help the less fortunate. Why is there such an uproar when someone in this country, local to us wants a little bit of help? I will assume the person wanting the website is unemployed and trying to get a small business up and running, to tell them their business will fail does not inspire confidence!

I am sure someone will offer to do the photos for them, maybe a student or senior citizen. I agree that no professional wants to, or will offer their services free of charge, no matter what profession, but an enthusiast may well.

Just to let you all know I am not a pro, just an enthusiast, and yes I have a DSLR, THAT DOESNT MAKE ME A PRO, and resent the generalisation made regarding people who purchase DSLR's. Also I am proud of my photos, a lot of which have been published in magazines. I have not or do I seek to earn a penny from it. I do it because I love to do it.