Changes to the water hardness in Sheffield

Aw... Boo to hard water. It tastes gross and does horrid things to my hair too.

I moved up North for a reason!

I heard hard water makes your teeth yellow too

No,thats nicotine :D

My cousin moved to Mablethorpe, and moans that after she brushes her teeth, they're yellower than they were before, due to the hard water :hihi:

My cousin moved to Mablethorpe, and moans that after she brushes her teeth, they're yellower than they were before, due to the hard water :hihi:

I used to wonder why people bought bottled water until i went to work down south. At times it felt like you could actually feel bits in the water it was that rough :o

I don't think people in this area realise just how good our water quality is.

The blend of water that our customers are being supplied with in some areas of Sheffield has changed. The proportion of soft moorland water has decreased and has been replaced with river derived water which tends to be harder. The water blend might vary at different times of the day and from day to day.

As a result you may notice that your kettle develops a slight build up of scale. This is due to increased levels of naturally occurring calcium bicarbonate. You may also notice a difference in taste although this is not harmful in any way.

This blending of water is a routine procedure which takes place for operational reasons in order to balance water stocks in the region.

More information on water hardness is available in the water quality section of our website - http://www.yorkshirewater.com/waterquality

This is very disappointing to hear. I don't want to drink water that is hard and will taste chalky. And before anyone says I can't tell the difference. Yorkshire Water had a display stand at Magna years ago - they had three unlabelled samples of water to taste and identify. I got all three correct. Evian because it tastes chalky and I will not drink, Yorkshire Water because I could smell the Chlorine and another bottled water whose name I have forgotten because it wasn't either of the other two.

it will also damage washing machines, irons etc as well as getting into drinks via the kettle

I can see my bills going up for bottled water, water to go in the iron and in washing machine repairs.

How much discount is Yorkshire Water going to give me to compensate me?

No,thats nicotine :D

Hard water does not make nicotine yellow, it is the chemicals in nicotine that do that.:)

Our tap water's suddenly gone hard - bits floating in tea :gag: Anyone else in Oughtibridge noticed this? Hopefully it's just a passing thing, and will change back again??

The blend of water that our customers are being supplied with in some areas of Sheffield has changed. The proportion of soft moorland water has decreased and has been replaced with river derived water which tends to be harder. The water blend might vary at different times of the day and from day to day.

As a result you may notice that your kettle develops a slight build up of scale. This is due to increased levels of naturally occurring calcium bicarbonate. You may also notice a difference in taste although this is not harmful in any way.

This blending of water is a routine procedure which takes place for operational reasons in order to balance water stocks in the region.

More information on water hardness is available in the water quality section of our website - http://www.yorkshirewater.com/waterquality

It be nice to say WHAT areas have been affected in the link.

Its stupidly frustrating

It's annoying for me, because I brew beer and treat the water with different salts to apply to the style I'm brewing.

The water report on their site is from 2004, I also emailed them to get hardness as CaCO3, which I then verified with an alkalinity test.

I guess this means that all the figures are worthless now, I don't mind the water changing but I want to know what it is via their website or I'm brewing in the dark :-)

Also 32 years of being a Sheffielder and I've never had to replace a kettle element, it's not cricket!

Does this mean that there's no point in buying Yorkshire Tea (blended for Yorkshire Waters)?

#rhetoricalquestion