Changes to the water hardness in Sheffield

Will this effect the PH levels in any way?

Probably,maybe this is why the OP said it may taste different at different times of the day,dunno.

it might affect it! you can get upto about 8 and as low as about 7 in this area depending upon what they send across from what i recall!

Probably,maybe this is why the OP said it may taste different at different times of the day,dunno.

It's not the taste I'm worried about but the water changes to my fish tank. If i go and change 50% of the water and the PH is significantly different they won't be very happy at all.

Guest sibon
It's not the taste I'm worried about but the water changes to my fish tank. If i go and change 50% of the water and the PH is significantly different they won't be very happy at all.

It should always be just over 7, to avoid any metal corrosion. How fussy are your fish?:)

almost certainly will change, its coming from (probably) north yorkshire and being blended with local etc, so it will change one way or tother, you'd need to test it every time tho to be safe if its going to harm them easily.

i live in s5, i had a glass of water this morning and it was horrible! almost made me sick, i could tell there wasnt something right!

It should always be just over 7, to avoid any metal corrosion. How fussy are your fish?:)

Try koi keeping and you will know how fussy fish can be :)

Guest sibon
Try koi keeping and you will know how fussy fish can be :)

I've got a nice tank of tropical fish that are fussy enough, thanks.

Are koi really sensitive to pH then?

A PH of 7 is fine (mine is actually 7.2 due to my crushed coral marine sand). Fish can be pretty fussy when it comes to PH levels. Well, not PH levels, but a sudden change in PH levels.

Guest sibon
A PH of 7 is fine (mine is actually 7.2 due to my crushed coral marine sand). Fish can be pretty fussy when it comes to PH levels. Well, not PH levels, but a sudden change in PH levels.

I'm pretty sure that Yorkshire Water will give you some information if you mail them and ask. The hardness shouldn't affect the pH very much. It certainly won't go below 7.

I've got a nice tank of tropical fish that are fussy enough, thanks.

Are koi really sensitive to pH then?

Pretty much,it is more to do with them being outside because in summer it can change from early morning to late afternoon by 2.0.A slow change is ok but with any fish a PH crash will kill them all.Koi prefer 8.0-9.0 but that is debatable.Buffer ponds with bicarb and it stays steady and wont drop below 8.0.

Water is not an infinite resource, such that all water consumed has been used before in some capacity. You could get a drink of water out of the tap that has previously been used to flush someones loo!

Enjoy now.:gag: