Forge Valley School: Uniform problems

Looking at the photo of the two lads sent home for wearing the wrong shoes I would find that the state of their hair would be a bigger issue with me !!!!

Thursday, September 8, 2011 at 03:28 PM

Mrs Mckinlay is right to send the kids home. What we have here is a growing generation of feckless, incompetent parents who are failing their kids by not preparing them adequately for the education system, and in turn they will fall well short of whats required for the competitive employment system. Is it really that difficult to understand the meaning of 'plain black shoes'? If it is, then please stop having children, otherwise your deficient gene pool is only going to get bigger !" :hihi:

While you may think its allright for Mrs Mckinlay to send the kids home, its a totally irresponsable thing to do without first checking if the childs parents are at home to receive them. A lot of parents are out at work or maybe out shopping and some children may have had difficulty in getting into the home, vunerable children walking the streets is not a wise thing in this day and age. By all means send them home, but send them home at the end of the school day with a letter for the parent, explaining the isssues and that the child will be excluded from school untill it is rectified, at least that way the child might not be roaming the streets during the daytime, waiting to get into the house.

Edited by Andy

While you may think its allright for Mrs Mckinlay to send the kids home, its a totally irresponsable thing to do without first checking if the childs parents are at home to receive them. A lot of parents are out at work or maybe out shopping and some children may have had difficulty in getting into the home, vunerable children walking the streets is not a wise thing in this day and age. By all means send them home, but send them home at the end of the school day with a letter for the parent, explaining the isssues and that the child will be excluded from school untill it is rectified, at least that way the child might not be roaming the streets during the daytime, waiting to get into the house.

The children sent home were Y11 - they are 15/ 16 and probably have door keys! Why could they have not got themselves home? Also I believe that the parents were sent a text to let them know of the imminent arrival of their children and why they were sent home :roll:

Edited by Lucy-Lastic

Well I have never seen such a set of slobs in my life, and that was the teechers as they entered the car park.

Oh give it up mate, it wasn't funny the first time.

My son has black soled PE trainers too. He has PE on Monday so I guess I will find out whats what then. I will not be happy is they decide his footwear is wrong when there has been no mention of this before.

I'd be a bit worried about this if I were you. I know black trainers often aren't allowed for PE because they leave marks on the floor of the sports hall. But if the school didn't tell you in the first place you can hardly be held responsible for buying the wrong shoes.

As I recall you also think that killing someone with a punch isn't murder.

Wrong mate -another example of your not reading details and prejudging issues;and killing someone with a punch may not be murder as most school children realise ie self-defence,accidental,in boxing ring etc.You have excellent factual recall and a spot on Mistermand might suit you or even with your acolyte Ann Robinson.

Are Marks & Spencer staff better able to do their job because they wear a uniform? Probably not I reckon, but those are the rules. Let's face it, this whole discussion is about rules and about people who try to bend them. The same sort of people who don't see a problem in driving at 40 in a 30 zone, the same people who don't see a problem with using a 'staff only' elavator in a hospital, the same people who think that killing someone with a punch isn't murder. You obviously have a problem with rules.

I have problems when peple are inflexible anfd literal as many fundementalists seem to stree the mental part of their description.I woulsd always challenge onerous rules rather than lie down in supine fashion.I take it you are a lover of authority,and have a picture of M Thatcher in the loo at home.

If parents did not agree with the school dress code these issues should have been settled before start of term.

The people at fault are those who purchased the shoes.

Maybe regulation shoes would have been cheaper.

The children sent home were Y11 - they are 15/ 16 and probably have door keys! Why could they have not got themselves home? Also I believe that the parents were sent a text to let them know of the imminent arrival of their children and why they were sent home :roll:

My 13 year old has a door key, and her 11 year old brother is getting one imminently. I have no qualms about leaving my kids in the house alone for a bit - they know where the biscuits are. I would be a bit fed up if they were sent home, but it isn't too hard to understand the "plain black shoes" bit is it? I didn't wear trainers to school, and you wouldn't expext to in many professions, so why can't kids work out that they can't to school?

:roll: Oh hear we go, a school is, quite rightly, enforcing its uniform policy and is now going to be "shamed" and ridiculed in the local press just because some children and their parents have a disregard for authority and think that school is some sort of fashion parade.

This is a symptom of what is wrong with society today, schools and teachers dont have the same level of respect that they used to.

well said.

Seem to recall a nun at the Royal Wedding being pictured next to the Royal Couple whilst wearing a well known brand of black trainers under her habit.

A child wearing those same trainers this week at Forge Valley would have been sent home.

Still, one is a prestigious occasion requiring a draconian dress code, the other is a massive state event watched by billions around the world.