Westwood roundabout Stocksbridge bypass A61/A616

This is a very good point (attracting vehicles such as HGVs to this road, if improvements were made), so a much easier and cost effective solution might be to ban all HGV (say beyond Stocksbridge), and allow them to use the much safer alternative routes (M62 -M6/A50) to the NW.

Without access to official statistics, on my frequent visits over Woodhead, on observation HGVs seem to make up a lot of the traffic travelling in either direction.

I am sure the residents of Tintwhistle/Mottram who have this queing traffic daily outside of their front door could welcome this on health grounds.

I agree the approaches to the roundabout are very questionable in design, causing manty drivers to hesitate.

so a much easier and cost effective solution might be to ban all HGV (say beyond Stocksbridge), and allow them to use the much safer alternative routes (M62 -M6/A50) to the NW.

A ban on HGVs using Woodhead- i like it, and i am sure the people of Tintwhistle would.

Some roadworks ongoing at the roundabout, I've looked online and its says the works are 'preparation' for some proposed major junction improvement scheme.

Can't find anything on the improvements, any ideas?

The signs on the approaches to the roundabout say the main improvements start in Spring 15. They're making it into a hamburger roundabout.

Any one know what is happening with this? It was meant to start 2 and half years ago but still queing daily at this roundabout.

Isn't this Barnsley news ..

It's about a main road into Sheffield if you come from the motorway junction 36, so it's Sheffield news I suppose.

Angel1.

I've heard they are looking at additional improvements to the A616 so the hamburger roundabout was put on hold until that's decided.

They've just put new white markings all around, they're still wrong coming from Tankersley to Manchester.

There was a piece in Barnsley Chronicle a few weeks ago re this roundabout.

Something about work having been halted due to finding some old unmapped mine shafts in the locality so the bill for the planned works will be a lot higher than budgeted for. Quell suprees Rodney!!! Who would have tought there would be old mine workings in South Yorkshire:huh:

There was a piece in Barnsley Chronicle a few weeks ago re this roundabout.

Something about work having been halted due to finding some old unmapped mine shafts in the locality so the bill for the planned works will be a lot higher than budgeted for. Quell suprees Rodney!!! Who would have tought there would be old mine workings in South Yorkshire:huh:

Have you the link?

That entire area is built on a not so old pit wharncliffe-silkstone