What really is IBS?

Hello Everyone

Free talk being held on 28th September. For more details click on the title!

What really is IBS?

Thanks

IBS is a fictitious diagnosis that is given out by doctors that cannot find anything else wrong.

At the most it is an umbrella term which covers any digestive discomfort on a sliding scale from severe constipation, ie going once a week or more, to severe diarrhea, ie going 15 times per day, and anything inbetween.

How on earth can that be a diagnosis? Therefore IBS is just a label that does not mean anything, then of course there are books, medications and support groups for IBS, and to put the cherry on the cake it is said to be incurable!

How do you cure something that does not exist?

Absolutely right, IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion and therefore not very helpful. The aim of the evening is to go through some of the reasons why people experience digestive problems.

Oh, that's ok then, please do not forget to mention Colonic Irrigation / Hydrotherapy, it is one of the most effective treatments along with nutritional guidance.

CUT OUT GRAINS, DAIRY, SUGAR AND PROCESSED FOODS. PLUS CUT OUT OR SERIOUSLY REDUCE ALCOHOL AND EAT PLENTY OF MEAT, VEG, FISH, NUTS, SEEDS, FRUIT ETC AND YOU WILL NO LONGER HAVE "IBS" TOOK TABLETS SINCE 1998. THEN I JOINED PRIME MOVER http://prime-mover.co.uk/ AND TOOK ON THEIR NUTRITION ADVICE AND IVE TAKEN NO TABLETS FOR A YEAR AND I FEEL AND LOOK AMAZING!

a doctor thought i had ibs,when i went to a bupa doctor i found out i had coeliac disease,doctors at the local practises are ok if you have a cold.

IBS is a fictitious diagnosis that is given out by doctors that cannot find anything else wrong.

At the most it is an umbrella term which covers any digestive discomfort on a sliding scale from severe constipation, ie going once a week or more, to severe diarrhea, ie going 15 times per day, and anything inbetween.

How on earth can that be a diagnosis? Therefore IBS is just a label that does not mean anything, then of course there are books, medications and support groups for IBS, and to put the cherry on the cake it is said to be incurable!

How do you cure something that does not exist?

Or to put to another way, IBS refers to a set of symptoms where a cause cannot be found.

IBS is really a term to describe an effect. The cause of such effects can be based on numerous possibilities. The thing with people's mindset is that, they think it is one thing, and therefore taking a pill, or doing X will solve it, but it does not work that way. Sometimes it has to be a change of lifestyle, or understanding the combined caused to reach the stage where IBS exists to begin with.

It used to upset me so much to realises the stress I have and the bad eating habits which causes me to have gastric problems, and I listened to so many different opinions, but not the real true scientific causes and understanding from Doctors. (Yet, doctors were also tied to what they can or cannot say legally, which indirectly builds up the bureaucracy !)

Taking control of your food intake and understanding the combined causes may probably eliminates slowly but surely what happens to your body.

IBS is indeed an umbrella term like a lot of things. Which umbrella you get put under depends mostly on the major symptoms. These conditions seem to me to have one major component in common: They are all very likely to come from ignoring one's feelings and not taking care of emotional well-being.

Everyone I've ever known with an 'umbrella' condition (CFS/ME, FMS, IBS, chronic headaches etc) has been a classic bottler who put up with things they hated, often without even admitting to themselves that they actually DID mind those things. Everyone I know who got better has learned to resolve this problem. Depression and anxiety are also related.

NOT saying that everyone without a perfect life will get these conditions, but we are all too apt to deny how we feel about things and go along with 'what's expected' of us, without stopping to think if we could handle things differently.

True ... and how often do we stop and listen to what our body is telling us? When it tries to speak we reach for a pill bottle or lotion or potion to stop uncomfortable 'communication' and so totally ignore it! Where's the 'Nurture' in that?

The trickiest part at times is finding out what it's trying to tell you.. WHAT is it I'm feeling that makes me monster tense, feel low, have a bad headache and tight calf muscles all at the same time??

Bleuch!