Give some respect to the Moderators.

Originally posted by JoeP

We try, and yes, we sometimes miss stuff that should be pulled.

It's billed as a 'Family Forum' - but just as the nightly news carries serious stories, we carry serious threads on here.

We try to be consistent, but again, there is inevitably personal discretion.

If you find a thread offensive, report it - simple as that. And that's what causes many offensive threads to be pulled. Not the Mods deciding that something is offensive, but a user finding it so and reporting it.

Joe

Thanks for the reply Joe. Can I ask does a thread/post get pulled simply because somebody objects to it per se or is the content examined and assessed before coming to such a decision.

Would for example, if we had a SF version of Mary Whitehouse, she be told that she was being unreasonable and that the thread will not be moderated to suit their tastes?

I've always thought Joe's done a really good job as a mod. I was originally one of the main people to put his name forward for being a moderator and I proved myself right about him being very fair and level headed.

When I posted about my dog Max being unwell, despite being busy and having a full forum to moderate, he had the time to send me a PM showing compassion and it made me feel much better about the whole situation.

Not brown nosing by any stretch of the imagination, but if people seriously think that some of the moderators are only here to make peoples forum lives hard then they should get out more.

GazB

Originally posted by daverity

Would for example, if we had a SF version of Mary Whitehouse, she be told that she was being unreasonable and that the thread will not be moderated to suit their tastes?

Yes. That is the case. The moderation is not done blindly.

Originally posted by JoeP

Yes, indeed respect does work both ways.

Again, we'll try and PM or message suers when we pull posts if it may be seen as being 'out of the blue', but we don't necessarily do it if a posting is a clear contravention of the rules.

We assume that people will have read the rules and if they post soemthing that is against the rules, I guess we assume they'll be able to work out why it was pulled.

Admittedly, though, not always as clear cut and again it's something we're trying to improve on.

Joe

Thanks for the reply... i think what im trying to say is.... when or what do you call SARCASM or OFFENSIVE THREADS/REPLYS?? The threads replys i had removed were made with a sarcastic quote.... not offensive!!!

But if all sarcastic and maybe offensive threads were deleted... what would be left? As this is "A FAMILY FORUM" do you think that we should have such threads as "forum members peed as a fart in pubs....." paedophilia threads.... Im dont want this to seem like im having ago at any one of the mods... but we do need to know what is classed as family (Suitable for All) and what is classed as Adult content?

Is this thread adult of family friendly ???

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72958

No offence DaBouncer im just using your thread as an example, which to me is in good taste...

;)

I have some points and questions, directed to the mods and co-admins.

---

1. What, if any, mechanisms or guidelines do you have in place to ensure that all SF users, are treated the same, when it comes to reprimands and bans etc?

Such that any decision to ban, length of ban etc, is consistent with number of previous warnings, severity of crime etc, and not just because you personally dislike or don't see eye to eye with any given user.

I think consistency is very important here.

---

2. Why do you moderate?

What's in it for you personally? Do you 'get off' on having power over the rest of us? Do you get 'miffed' about suggestions that you're only in it for the power trip?

:hihi:

You guys all sound ridiculous. This is an internet discussion forum, not the houses of parliament! Does it really matter?

I suggest if you're really upset by the moderating you're obviously a little too involved and should try to cut down on your forum time a little bit!

Originally posted by owdlad

is a thread like this suitable for a family forum?

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&postid=732779#post732779

Without looking at the thread, which I will, do YOU think it's suitable for a family forum? If you don't, then use the report facility. If you do, then why mention it on here?

Originally posted by max

Without looking at the thread, which I will, do YOU think it's suitable for a family forum? If you don't, then use the report facility. If you do, then why mention it on here?

I was asking YOU if it was suitable for a family forum, whether I find it suitable isn't the issue.

the thread is suitable for a family forum, some of the replies are obviously not - surely self regulation by the "tongue in cheek" brigade is more apt than moderators.

Originally posted by owdlad

I was asking YOU if it was suitable for a family forum, whether I find it suitable isn't the issue.

Not easy being a mod is it? We have to make these judgement calls all the time.