Norton & District cricket league

he was only a young man when he played with us maybe 18/20 years old if its the same guy?

I am sure it is,good all rounder!

My grandad played for Sykes CC in 1937 and 1938 in the Norton & District League, in the 1st division. I have three photos of him and the team which were recently passed down to me; I don't seem to be able to insert photos, if anyone can point me to the correct method I'm happy to share them.

my father, Charles Clifford Fidler, was Secretary etc for Grimesthorpe Old Boy's Cricket and Football Clubs. During the 1950s and early 60s I was regular scorer for the cricket club.  I remember with much fun, the competition between the GOBs and Grimesthorpe CC with Joe Boot at the head. in 2018 I was in Sutton-on-Sea, Lincolnshire, and met one of Joe Boot's family! That was a real blast from the past.

My brother Alan, once took 6 wickets in 6 balls (8 ball overs) against Papermill on a Wednesday evening match. In those days each team had no more than 3 pairs of pads so that over took a long, long time! David Fidler, the only remaining member of that particular Fidler family.

I have some photographs and memories from the GOBs. Each of my three brothers played for the club. I know that my nephew has the ball with which Alan took six wickets  in 6 balls during a Wednesday evening match. 

This is a bit of an Englands last hope but my gran dad William Morrris won the best batting prize for a club EWSCC in 1902. I have been trying for years to find out what EWS Cricket Club was. Could have been Norton & District.

Any ideas please?

Thansk a lot John

My dad Arthur Revill played for PWD from the Mid 1950's to 1967 at their ground at whirlowdale other names I remember Bob Bagshaw,Don Henderson,Frank Froggatt, Billy Hubbard, Barry Rigby  his dad Ralph Rigby,  Pete and John Lister.

Dad also played for Prince of Wales in High Hazels Park.

On 13/06/2012 at 20:12, The Oil Man said:

Better late than never, I played in the Norton League from 1975-1980 playing for Grimesthorpe CC . I moved to the Sheffield League, where I played for Leadmill CC until around 1983, (I Think) I played for both teams in the Sheffield Alliance mid week league.

What happened to the Norton League?

The Norton League merged with the Sheffield League.  The Sheffield League subsequently merged with the South Yorkshire League  alongside the Doncaster League.  The SYL has just announced a merger with the Yorkshire Premier League (South). so that the top division will still form part of the ECB Premier League pyramid.

My memories of the Norton League were games in Graves Park where six or seven games were played on adjacent pitches and where the square leg on one ground was fielding at mid-on on the adjacent one!

The Alliance Midweek League is still going strong, although no games were played in 2020 due to Covid.  Leadmill pulled out a few years ago (shortly after David moved to Scotland).  There still around 25 clubs in the League.

Edited by MobileB

I realize this is an old thread and I'm hoping someone is still tracking it! My grandmother's cousin, John Hawley, played for Dunsworth Old United in this league 1910ish to around 1920 I think. I have found several newspaper clippings with help from Sheffield & District Family History on FaceBook.  I have a medal that I now know was awarded to all the team members in 1910 when they won the N&D League Division 2.  What I don't have is any pictures of John or the team. Would anyone have a picture or know where I might find one?

One if my brothers played for Petre Street CC (which is nowhere near Norton)  in the N&DCL in the late 1950s

Sure  did!

Firstly for Firth Park Club in the early seventies then Pitsmoor Meths in the late seventies till 1982. 

Home grounds Longley Park and Concord Park.

Great days indeed with good friends.

Hi, my father in law used to play for Sykes CC in the 1950s, 60s and 70s. He now has Alzheimer’s and his memory in failing, however he still talks about his playing days with great fondness. He tries desperately to remember names of fellow players, but struggles to remember any. If anyone can provide any names of Sykes CC players from those days I’d be very grateful, in particular my father in law talks about an “Asian man” (Indian or Pakistani), who he mentions a lot, but frustratingly can’t remember his name, though we can’t determine if this chap played for Sykes or another club. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you. 

Its a while since I asked the question, but I will ask it again

Does anyone know of any historical records relating to the league

My grandfather I believe was playing CRICKET for Sheffield Wednesday in the 1890's